Failing to teach the fundementals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFSdriver

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How frequently do you find that lecturers fail to teach the fundamental concept of a topic and instead go on and on about finite nonsense?

This seems to be our entire pharm department and to a lesser extent physio. Just recently a lecture on antiarrhythmics failed to mention the most basic concepts distinguishing classes of drugs (receptor and parts of the action potential) and instead focused on tiny details or points that could only be of interest to researchers or pharmacologists developing these drugs :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

here here.

i learn so much from wikipedia and youtube.

netter and wikipedia should merge. wouldn't that be something special?

I think ive had the 'History of Antibiotics' lecture at least 4 times now throughout my career as a student. Interesting, yes. A waste of time, yes. But what I find most amusing, is that each lecturer does it as if no one has ever done it before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think part of the problem is that so many lectures are given by 100 year old PhD's that first prepared them 20 years ago and haven't been modified much since. That way we learn everything there is to know about the pharmaco-kinetics/dynamics of drugs that aren't even available anymore, rather than practical knowledge about drugs that we actually use / get pimped on during clerkships. Ah well. Somehow we manage. Come to think of it, much of physio was the same way. Thank the heavens for self learning.

It is pretty much the nature of the beast. Your only recourse is to let the establishment know via student evals.

In the meantime, utilize first aid/BRS/gunner training, etc. to get the general framework. It will also help you to know what is high yield, since many professors, while there lectures ramble, ask questions pertaining to the high yield material.

I think part of the problem is that so many lectures are given by 100 year old PhD's that first prepared them 20 years ago and haven't been modified much since. That way we learn everything there is to know about the pharmaco-kinetics/dynamics of drugs that aren't even available anymore, rather than practical knowledge about drugs that we actually use / get pimped on during clerkships. Ah well. Somehow we manage. Come to think of it, much of physio was the same way. Thank the heavens for self learning.
Yet, they have some nerve to charge us an arm and a leg for the "education they provide us".