1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Fair Interview Question or NOT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by OneStrongBro, Nov 23, 2002.

1. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How do you plan to finance medical school?

Also, any comments on WHY an interviewer would ask this question?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man
    7+ Year Member

Simply to see how you would answer/how you think. Like many interview questions, there is no one right answer, but how you answer reveals something about you (values, planning, awareness, temperament, character, etc.).

4. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The important thing is not what your plan is, it's that you've got a plan!

5. Maple

7+ Year Member

What's wrong with this question?:confused: Your answer has no effect on whether or not you get in. Your school won't care if you parents pick up the tab or you do (via loans, savings etc). You can be asked this question because med school is an expensive and long term financial venture...and med schools try to make sure that students know what they are getting themselves into. I always answered "loans" without any further elaboration.

6. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's a fair question, and you should have an answer prepared in advance for it.

Why? well...um..because med school is ****ing expensive, and they just want to know that you've thought about what you're getting into.

7. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It definitely is a fair question. It justs shows the interviewer that you realize how expensive medical school can be and that you have researched how you might go about financing/paying for medical school. There is no right or wrong answer and there is really no way an interviewer is going to use this question to base their opinion of you, unless of course an assinine response is given.

I think that some applicants might be a little naive about paying for medical school since they may have recieved scholarships and grants to attend college, but there are very few opportunities for scholarships and grants in medical school. Loans up to $200,000 are usually how people pay for it, and that requires a commitment of to pay it all back and of course lots of planning.

8. Lascivious

Lascivious Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You got it, Mashce. They probably just want to see if you've considered paying for school. (And hopefully you have!)

9. OneStrongBro

OneStrongBro Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks Guys, For the Posts.

10. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred
    7+ Year Member

Here's an interesting story...

I did the same thing Maple did.... I mentioned that i planned on taking loans when all of a sudden, my interviewer started telling me to join the Navy because I wouldnt have to pay anything... he then went on to tell me that I didnt want to go into debt and I wanted to experience what the Navy had to offer... I find out at the end of the interview that he is the promoter for Navy scholarships at the med school! yikes :eek: (he gave me his business card and everything...)

11. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

i think it's a pretty fair question.

12. Yogi Bear,
    you are on a roll today. The last 4-5 threads are all responded by you. :D

13. me thinks thats called padding :confused:

14. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think so to

15. I think he is trying to catch up to me! But i am still 20 some points ahead! MUAHAHAHAH!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

ok, i have to let this thread go back to its original discussion. Sorry!

16. Ok, I counted. He responded to 9 threads! :p

And I also realized something.....I need to use my time efficiently than noticing who is padding or not...hehe I better go study!

17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

lol.....

hadn't been posting on sdn for awhile cuz of interviews so figured i'd do the responses in one batch..heheh. during one 36 hr period last week, i actually did not touch a computer. :eek:

18. You didn't touch a computer?? wow! ok, then u are allowed to mass-pad the sdn forums :D