fair or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadyknick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a friend of mine found a colleague of his father who is about to publish a chapter in a book and the author is willing to include my friend's name even though he literally did nothing or knows anything in regards to the project. Just wanted to know your guys thoughts on this....

Members don't see this ad.

It's not exactly honest if it is EXACTLY the case you are describing...but that's life :D

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it isn't fair, but nepotism is a part of life. You will know that his integrity is compromised, and though you can do nothing about it, you will know that you didn't need some backhanded way to be successful.

Yeah i nicely brought up my views however he told me that as long as he reads the content and gets briefed up he can easily pull it off..

Just wondering is this a common occurrence?

apply to medical school as a disadvantaged URM to even things out.

/sarcasm. :p

life's not fair.

your friend would be smart to make sure he studies that chapter very well, and learns about some of the intangibles of the process of being published, because it could very well come up during an interview....especially if the interviewer calls BS.

He had better hope that the chapter wasn't plagiarized from another source. Same goes for research projects -- if it turns out to be fraudulent it is a permanent black mark on every author's CV, too late then to say, "I wasn't really involved.".

He had better hope that the chapter wasn't plagiarized from another source. Same goes for research projects -- if it turns out to be fraudulent it is a permanent black mark on every author's CV, too late then to say, "I wasn't really involved.".

You mean the excuse of, "but I just wanted a pub for my app - I didn't actually do anything!" won't fly?!

:laugh:

(sent from my phone)