Fairly quick question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr__Robert

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an aspiring semi-matriculating to medical school graduating senior. (I'm going into a special master's program at EVMS in the fall). And I just have a question on the difficulty of getting into an EM residency. I realize that this may have been answered already in other places, but I was just hoping that some one could answer it for me so that I don't have to search the forum for a couple of hours to get these answers.

Roughly what kind of grades, recommendations, clincical rotation grades/recs /other stuff and Step 1 quality are we looking at to get an EM residency?
Assume that I am willing to go to a wide variety of places. Just exactly how competitive are we talking here?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an aspiring semi-matriculating to medical school graduating senior. (I'm going into a special master's program at EVMS in the fall). And I just have a question on the difficulty of getting into an EM residency. I realize that this may have been answered already in other places, but I was just hoping that some one could answer it for me so that I don't have to search the forum for a couple of hours to get these answers.

Roughly what kind of grades, recommendations, clincical rotation grades/recs /other stuff and Step 1 quality are we looking at to get an EM residency?
Assume that I am willing to go to a wide variety of places. Just exactly how competitive are we talking here?

The FAQs provide a lot of information!!

Make the best grades and scores you can make, and more importantly learn as much as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
try not to be a lazy med student, you can start by searching the forum.

Just playing, I couldn't resist, I lack that frontal inhibition.

I miss the FMcF hangman game . . . I rarely see it used these days . . . people just jump right to the answer.

Do you think FMcP has beard? I have always pictured him with a beard and glasses, not like a zz-top beard more like a homeless man beard.

See, I always picture him as more of a Dr. 90210 kind of guy. Pompous and much too self-confident.

Do you think he wears cut-off scrub tops and sunglasses inside of Target?

There's a guy at my hospital, I think he must be a scrub tech or maybe he works in Equipment, who has a weightlifter's build, tattoos on both biceps, and -- I sh#t you not -- sleeveless scrub tops. They appear to be custom-tailored, with finished edges where the sleeves would otherwise start.

I so badly want to walk up to him, raise a hand in the air, and say "like-your-style five!"

...but he may not get it, and/or may kick my #ss.

I wear cut off scrubs in target to show my man belly with shag carpeting and that sexy belly button ring.....oh, you meant cut off arms.....no, I would never do that.