Fall 10 classes... is it overkill for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take Human Physio + lab... Bio 2 + Lab .... Organic chem 2 'without lab'. Is this a good combination of classes to take and review very minimally for the MCAT at the same time? or shall I add another class and forget about the MCAT until the summer?

* I wont even have a part time job during the semester
* I am planning to dedicate 1 hour or more /day for reading books and magazines (New yorker , economist, times and scientific american) to improve my reading comprehension 'English is my second language'

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to take Human Physio + lab... Bio 2 + Lab .... Organic chem 2 'without lab'. Is this a good combination of classes to take and review very minimally for the MCAT at the same time? or shall I add another class and forget about the MCAT until the summer?

* I wont even have a part time job during the semester
* I am planning to dedicate 1 hour or more /day for reading books and magazines (New yorker , economist, times and scientific american) to improve my reading comprehension 'English is my second language'

best time to study is when you have full time devoted to MCAT. You have a high probability of underachieving if you study during the semester, regardless of load or units.

Yeah, I agree with the above poster. Also, in my opinion, any class is overkill for the MCAT. It's convenient to have classes with subjects that overlap with the MCAT subjects, but it's unnecessary.

Oh yess. This will suffice, but you are really missing out on the 2 lab for organic. Its really fun. Don't forget about the molecular bio though! very very important. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't underestimate yourself. I am taking grad classes as well as working 40 hrs/week and I find plenty of time to study. Just keep the MCAT material fresh in your head throughout the day. For example, at work when I'm waiting for a centrifuge to finish or for a doc to come out of the exam room, I'll jot down a few practice ochem reactions or draw out the kreb's cycle.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I am planning to take Cell/molecular Bio (I Think they are both the same) + Genetics + Biochem+ any other bio class that could help my MCAT studies during the next spring