Fall 2010 Final Decision Post: Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kibster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to start a thread for people to post where they have decided to go. If you have accepted an offer of admission please post it here. Be sure to include the program you will be in as well. Also, if you want to share why you decided on a certain program, please do so.

Accepted: Johns Hopkins (MHS Health Policy), UNC (MHA), Ohio State (MHA), Michigan (MHSA), Cornell (MHA)
Rejected: Yale

Final Decision: UNC!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted: University of Pittsburgh (MPH Epi, $1500 scholarship), SUNY Albany (MPH Epi, no word yet on financial aid), Emory (MPH Epi, only work study/loans :( ), Washington University in St. Louis (MPH Epi, $25,000 scholarship), New York Medical College (MPH Epi).

Rejected: Yale (MPH Infectious Disease Epi)

Final Decision: SUNY Albany

SUNY Albany is only about an hour from where I live now, and significantly cheaper than the other schools. (Feel bad turning down that $25k from WUSTL, but it's not an accredited school/program of PH health yet, and still more expensive than Albany, even with the scholarship.) I was pretty much deciding between SUNY Albany and Emory but only got work study/loans from Emory, and since I want to go to med school, that's too much debt. So off to Albany I go!

---------

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So excited to be posting this...

Accepted- Emory (BSHE)
UIC (CHS)
Tulane (CHS/MCH)
USF (MCH)
Waitlisted- Boston (MCH)
Rejected- UNC (MCH)

Final decision- EMORY!!!

I was leaning towards Emory after another school visit was just okay a few weeks ago. As much as I was enjoying Emory's visit day, my department meeting made my decision. I am so excited to learn from and work with such amazing and interesting people. So excited to finally know where I am going!

Last edited:
Stats: 2.9 History (UCLA), 4.0 (50 units of post-bac math & science classes at a community college) --> 3.2 (total undergrad) according to SOPHAS
GRE - V: 630 Q: 740 AW: 4.0 (don't neglect studying for this section!)
Peace Corps Volunteer, volunteer work in Malawi and UCSD Medical Center, co-founder non-profit
*check out my website: upinternational.org :laugh:*

Accepted: GW (GH), Tulane (IHD) $5000, BU (GH) $8000, Yale (HPA, GHC), SDSU (HP), SFSU $5000

Rejections: none...I didn't apply to any top ten programs because of my GPA...hmmmm...

Final Decision: YALE!!! :)

Why: They didn't give me any money, especially since I turned in my fin aid papers last week (they were due March 1st - oops!). However, it will be the same price as Tulane, the other school that I was considering. I am drawn to the small class size, the research interests of the professors (and their accessibility), and the fact that I will be able to do the GH concentration in addition to another track. GW was in the lead for a bit because of its location in DC. I ruled it out because of how expensive it would be to live there. Plus, it's a big school and I have already done that once (UCLA).

I want to thank everyone on this forum. It has been very helpful (and comforting) to read everyone's stories/advice during this whole process. Thank you!

Columbia most likely:cool:

Stats: 2.9 History (UCLA), 4.0 (50 units of post-bac math & science classes at a community college) --> 3.2 (total undergrad) according to SOPHAS
GRE - V: 630 Q: 740 AW: 4.0 (don't neglect studying for this section!)
Peace Corps Volunteer, volunteer work in Malawi and UCSD Medical Center, co-founder non-profit
*check out my website: upinternational.org :laugh:*

Accepted: GW (GH), Tulane (IHD) $5000, BU (GH) $8000, Yale (HPA, GHC), SDSU (HP), SFSU $5000

Rejections: none...I didn't apply to any top ten programs because of my GPA...hmmmm...

Final Decision: YALE!!! :)

Why: They didn't give me any money, especially since I turned in my fin aid papers last week (they were due March 1st - oops!). However, it will be the same price as Tulane, the other school that I was considering. I am drawn to the small class size, the research interests of the professors (and their accessibility), and the fact that I will be able to do the GH concentration in addition to another track. GW was in the lead for a bit because of its location in DC. I ruled it out because of how expensive it would be to live there. Plus, it's a big school and I have already done that once (UCLA).

I want to thank everyone on this forum. It has been very helpful (and comforting) to read everyone's stories/advice during this whole process. Thank you!

I had a lower gpa than you and got into several top 10 schools. Don't sell yourself short!

Are most of you pursuing an MPH degree eventually planning on going to medical, pharmacy or dental school? I am curious because I got into a few schools which are going to cost me a huge amount of money. But then comes medical school and more loans. Is it worth pursuing if in the end my job is going to be as a doctor and want to use my MPH was a secondary pursuit (in health management)

Are most of you pursuing an MPH degree eventually planning on going to medical, pharmacy or dental school? I am curious because I got into a few schools which are going to cost me a huge amount of money. But then comes medical school and more loans. Is it worth pursuing if in the end my job is going to be as a doctor and want to use my MPH was a secondary pursuit (in health management)

I'm going to Albany because I plan to go to med school and don't want a huge amount of debt (on top of med school debt). I want to use public health in my medical practice but don't want to be drowning in debt.

No, I plan to use my MPH to work in the field and possibly pursue a doctoral degree.

Also, not that I should talk b/c I've just now done the same thing but can we just keep the responses to final school decisions? That way there's less clutter.

You can start a new thread for your questions and I'm sure no one would mind and that way people are more likely to see your question as well C:

Hi, I'll be going to the Harvard School of Public Health. This is the only program I applied to. I'm an international student, and the reason I chose this school is for a specific mentor and for the program in Clinical Effectiveness. I finished medical school and residency training. The Clinical Effectiveness program is the most suitable for me because it lets me also work in my home institution between my coursework to help pay the expenses. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted: Yale, Berkeley, Emory, UIC, PITT, UCLA, GWU, BU
Rejected: None
Decision: Yale (Epi of Microbial Disease w/ Global Health Concentration)

Honestly, I was leaning toward Yale due to class size and reputation from the start. However, not until I went to visit day did I truly feel Yale was the best "fit" for me. Everyone was very close knit like a family and faculty seemed very supportive. The major theme that was repeated over and over by faculty was something like, "I know all of you won't have the same interests as us, but whatever you decide to pursue (research or otherwise), we are here to support you". I can't ask for more than that.

I decided against the other schools because many of them seemed like MPH factories with large class sizes, etc. Plus, UCLA and Berkeley (even for in state like myself) are still pretty expensive.

Anyway, congrats to those who have made final decisions and best of luck to those still deciding.

Last edited:
Final Decision: Columbia
Acceptances:
Columbia COTJ Program
Rejections: None, didn't apply any where else
Stats:

GPA: 3.7 IR and Psych double majors at top tier private university on west coast
GRE: V: 670 Q: 730 AW: 5.0
Experience: Work for health insurance company

Why: I love NYC! I get to keep my job while working since Columbia offers a part-time program.

Accepted: Harvard (SHDH), Columbia (SMS), UNC (MHA), Alabama (MHA), Michigan (MHSA), Johns Hopkins (MHA)

Rejected: Minnesota (MHA), NYU (MPA)

Decision: UNC! I'm SO excited :love:

Last edited:
Stats: 3.3 GPA, 1100 GRE
Biological Sciences background, 2 years research experience in tropical diseases
Applied for MPH

Accepted:
GWU (Global Health: Design, Monitoring and Evaluation stream)
USF (Global Communicable Diseases)

Rejections:
none

Not heard from:
BU (International Health)

Decision: GWU!

3.8 GPA, BS in Public Health from a state school. 540/540/5 GRE (lol.) Good experience, awesome LORs. It is too bad that being incredibly good looking doesn't factor into the application process. Jk!

Applied: Columbia SMS, NYU Community Public Health, SJSU

Rejected: Columbia (expected, my SOP sucked and I barely got it in on time)

Haven't heard: SJSU (expecting an acceptance)

Accepted: NYU

Going to NYU.

Regretting not applying to more schools. Don't even ask me what I was thinking!

Stats:
-3.5 GPA from a top public university, 700Q/500V/4.5W
-2 years clinical psychology research experience
-excellent LOR's from 2 researchers who are highly regarded in their fields
-a little bit of luck! :)

*All programs are in Epi*

Accepted: Johns Hopkins (ScM), Emory (MSPH), Pitt (ScM)

Rejected: Harvard (ScM)

Waiting: BU (ScM)

Decision: Johns Hopkins! super excited/still in disbelief...

Stats
GRE: v 650 q 740 analytical 4
TOEFL 113 r28 L30 s26 w29
GPA > 3.0

Applied to
UTHouston
Fort worth , North Texas
South carolina
suny, buffalo,
suny, albany

Waiting SUNY albany

Accepted : all others,
Final decision UTHouston

congrats to all others :)

Yeah dude what the hell is the matter with UAB? I've heard back from all the other schools I applied to like a month ago and still nothing from UAB, I've called, written emails everything. It's freaking annoying. I'd love to go there cause I have friends and some family there but if they don't contact me soon, whatever

It is too bad that being incredibly good looking doesn't factor into the application process. Jk!

I just wanted to say that this quote is a win! :) I haven't decided yet; I know I will have to soon. :(

Accepted: BU, UT, UIC, Tulane, Drexel, UMich, UPitt
Waiting: Columbia
Final Decision: UMich!

Accepted: Emory (BSHE) and UIC (MCH)
Rejected: Berkeley (MCH) =(

Final Decision: UIC
I want to work in Chicago after I finish so I think this might work out for the best. Plus I have in-state tuition.

Stats:
-3.3 GPA from a top public university, 760Q/540V/4.5W
-Double major in Chemistry and Business Economics
-3 years clinical research experience in pharma

Accepted:
Emory
UIC
UTexas (dept scholarship for instate tuition +1500)
BU (10k merit scholarship)
Ohio St
UFlorida

Rejected:
UW
UCLA
UNC

Decision: BU (HPM + PAMP); in the end a very tough choice between UT and BU

Stats:
3.6 GPA from an Ivy
710 Q/650 V/5 AW
Other good experience and recs

Accepted:
U Washington
UCLA
Yale
Columbia
Michigan
Pitt
UT - Houston

Waitlisted:
UNC
BU

Rejected:
None

Decision:
Yale for Health Policy!

Decision - UNC!!!

Accepted
Umich
Emory
Tulane

I'm incredibly excited about UNC! When I got that letter all other options went out the window - though UMich is pursuing me pretty hard and I do love Ann Arbor and miss my old profs there...

Kibster & Classic what programs are are you into?

Decision - UNC!!!

Accepted
Umich
Emory
Tulane

I'm incredibly excited about UNC! When I got that letter all other options went out the window - though UMich is pursuing me pretty hard and I do love Ann Arbor and miss my old profs there...

Kibster & Classic what programs are are you into?

They both posted MHA...in this thread.

Stats:
3.82 from UCLA Anthropology, 620v, 580q, no real public health experience except 2 year hospital volunteer

Applied:
USC
UCLA

Accepted:
USC
UCLA

Final Decision:
UCLA EPI! :D

Don't know if this counts to you all, but I'll be starting a MPH at the University of Minnesota this summer as part of dual DVM/MPH degree.

Stats: 3.7 from a good school, 720v/660q, 5 months public health experience abroad

Options: Berkeley, Pitt, Tulane, UMinn, Hopkins (All for IH/MCH/HBS)

Decision: Hopkins! (MHS-IH)

Berkeley was a somewhat close second but in the end Hopkins was far stronger in my area of interest. Excited!

Accepted: GW (MHSA), Georgetown (MHSA), VCU (MHA), Rush (MHA), NYU (MPA-HPM)

Rejected: UNC (MHA)

Withdrew: UW (MHA)

Final Decision: Georgetown! Go Hoyas!

Accepted: GW (MHSA), Georgetown (MHSA), VCU (MHA), Rush (MHA), NYU (MPA-HPM)

Rejected: UNC (MHA)

Withdrew: UW (MHA)

Final Decision: Georgetown! Go Hoyas!

When did you receive your UNC decision? I am attempted to call them cause I'm still waiting~

Accepted:
Yale
BU
UT Houston
Tulane
Michigan
UCLA

Rejected:
Columbia

Decision:
Yale!! MPH Biostats!!! :)

Accepted (all global health): Hopkins, Harvard, Emory, Columbia, BU, UNC (HBHE)

Decision: UNC! Relieved to finally know where I'm going to be spending the next two years = )

stats: 3.7 top private, coming from undergrad, some summers abroad researching, global health related thesis

all for global health/epi of infectious diseases or something similar...

accepted (overkill in applying, i'm aware): hopkins, yale, emory, tulane, BU (12k merit), GW, UT (epi phd, in state award)

rejected: harvard, boo

decision: yale!

Accepted: Johns Hopkins (MHS Infectious Disease Epi), Columbia (Epi), Saint Louis University (Epi), Yale (Epi), Emory (Epi)
Rejected: none

Final Decision: Hopkins

I had a tough time deciding between Columbia and Hopkins but Hopkins has a departmental scholarship that provides 75% tuition support for the second year, and offered me loans/work study to cover the difference. Columbia gave me $4,200...which won't much of a dent in tuition/living expenses. I also like that the program was completely focused on Infectious Diseases at Hopkins.

Accepted: UMich, Emory, UIC, UPitt, BU, GW (all epi)
Rejected: Yale (chronic disease epi)

Decision: Emory :)

Applied: UCLA, Berkeley

Accepted: UCLA! (CHS)

I was a UCLA undergrad and now I'll be there for grad school. I wanted to stay in California and once I found out about UCLA, I stopped applying to all the other schools with later deadlines.

Accepted: UCLA (CHS), Berkeley (HSB), SDSU, Columbia
Final decision: Columbia, SMS Health Promotion

accepted: GWU, UCLA, UC Berkeley, SDSU, Emory, Columbia, UC Davis, Dartmouth, BU (all epi)

denied: UW (epi)

final two: Columbia vs. Emory

final decision: Columbia

@gatsby: Congrats on your acceptances and your decision.
I was wondering did you hear back from VCU the day of the interview or last week via snail mail/call/email?

Congrats everyone!! It has been a long few months, but now we can all celebrate!

Accepted (For Epi) : UIC, UMinn, UW, UPitt, Harvard, Yale (SBS), UMich, Emory

Wait listed: BU (Withdrew application, not my top choice)

Rejected: UC Berkeley

Final Three: UW, UMich, Harvard -- such a tough decision!

Final Decision: Harvard!!

What a stressful and exciting process! I am glad it is finally over :D

Stats:
GPA: 3.3 overall, 3.6 in major from Ivy League University
GRE: 620v 610m 5.5q
Work: 2-years full-time research experience, part-time research throughout college, 4 publications, 2 years teaching health education, 1 year as a rape crisis counselor

Accepted:
Wisconsin
Drexel ($16k merit)-Community Health & Prevention
BU ($10k merit)- Maternal and Child Health
GW- Maternal and Child Health
UNC- Maternal and Child Health

Rejected:
Columbia (Family Health, Sexuality)
Harvard (SHDH)

Decision:
99% positive it's UNC, although BU might make a last-minute resurgance