Fall 2010 Final Decision Post: Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Note: All programs were for Epi.

Accepted: Columbia, Emory, UT Houston, University of Pittsburgh, University of Arizona Tucson, SDSU, and Boston University

Rejected: UC Berkeley, UCLA, Yale

Final Decision: Emory! I'm pretty sad I didn't get into Berkeley since I really wanted to stay in California, but ultimately I think Emory will be the best choice for my career. It irks me that Berkeley never even sent me a formal rejection letter/email. I had to call again and ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Final Decision: Columbia! SMS - sexuality and health

This was not an easy decision. But the sexuality and health track in the SMS department is unlike anything else out there. It's a research area I love, and there are SO many great people working on it at Columbia. Ultimately, however, it came down to personal attention. The people at Columbia knew who I was, knew my application, seemed very interested to speak with me. UIC and Michigan were not like this at all.

It's a huge financial commitment. I hope I'm making the right decision!

I JUST accepted Columbia's offer. And now Michigan awards me a half tuition scholarship. AHHH! I don't know what to do!

Members don't see this ad :)
Annnd Columbia counters with a scholarship! And a good one, too! I guess my decision is still Columbia!

Annnd Columbia counters with a scholarship! And a good one, too! I guess my decision is still Columbia!

Congrats!! What did you say to them for them to give you this offer?

Note: All of them were for infectious diseases

Accepted: GWU (MSPH), UC Berkeley (MPH), UPitt (MS), Tulane (MSPH), UAlbany (MS), Hopkins (MS)

Rejected: None

Final Two: Berkeley vs. Hopkins

Final Decision: Berkeley! I fell in love with the program and the campus. And it is nice to be able to stay in California, although I would have loved to be back in the east coast with my friends. Congrats to everyone!

Called UNC and it appears the class is getting to the filling point, so it seems like my decision is made.

For every school except Temple I applied to their health education equivalent. For Temple I randomly applied for Global Health.

Stats:

GPA: 2.65 (2.78 on Sophas)
GRE: 520v 640q 4.0w
Others: What I believe were strong LORs, a good personal statement, and various experience.

Accepted:
Drexel
Tulane (probationary)
UNCG (provisional)
UIC
UPITT
USF
UGA
Mercer

Rejected:
BU
SUNY-Albany
UNC-Charlotte
UMINN
OSU

Waitlisted:
St. Louis University (Withdrew)
UNC-Chapel Hill
Temple

Decision:
Tulane!!! in their CHS department for Health Education and Communication (The only thing that could change my mind is UNC giving me a last minute call and only because it's much cheaper to me as an instate student).

I was really impressed with the school and love the city of New Orleans C:

accepted: Drexel, OSU, GWU, Emory, UMich

waitlisted : BU

rejected: Columbia

final two: GWU vs. Emory

final decision: leaning towards GWU....but not finalized yet:confused:

Morehouseman,

Are you attending GWU upcoming fall?
If so, which program?

:)

Applied: JHSPH, HSPH (all Global Health)
Accepted: JHSPH, HSPH (with $9k)

Decision: HSPH :D

Morehouseman,

Are you attending GWU upcoming fall?
If so, which program?

:)

Hey jk1127,

Yup, I will be attending GWU this upcoming fall and I will be entering the mph in health policy program. :D

Which program at GWU were you accepted to?

Accepted: NYU Steinhardt Community Public Health Nutrition, Emory Global Epi and BSHE, Tufts MS Nutritional Epi/MPH

Rejected: UC Berkeley MPH HBHE, GWU MPH Infectious Diseases,

Decision: *Deep breath* Tufts.

After a long, difficult inner struggle with Emory, I decided to stop compromising my interest in nutrition and just go all in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I guess I should include:
Tufts - $3k/year scholarship
NYU - $8k this year (don't know if its a one time thing...)
Emory - $0.

Just heard from Columbia yesterday, but didn't get in. Looks like I'm going to UMN (MHA).

I applied really late in the game to only 3 schools, and I wasn't expecting to get in at all, so...:

Accepted: :)
Rejected: none

Final Decision: :) (unless some other school gives me a financial incentive)

Last edited:
I also applied super late in the game. I have no idea what I was thinking but I did end up getting into most of my schools (don't know how!).

Accepted: UMN-Maternal and Child Health, Tulane-International Health, GWU-Global Health

Waitlisted: BU-International Health

Rejected: Emory-International Health (I applied like two months after the deadline. whoops.

Final Decision (and a super hard one at that): GWU

Wow ! I cant believe I've finally made a decision.

Accepted: Hopkins, Columbia, Emory and Yale Health Policy & Mgt
Rejected: Harvard

Going to Hopkins!!!!!!!:laugh:

Congrats clinicalskillz! I'm amazed that you were able to hold out for Hopkins' acceptance for so long-- but it paid off, eah?!

My hat's off to you =). One month of waiting had me through the roof with anticipation!

Congrats clinicalskillz! I'm amazed that you were able to hold out for Hopkins' acceptance for so long-- but it paid off, eah?!

My hat's off to you =). One month of waiting had me through the roof with anticipation!

Thanks werd814 :laugh:!!!

congrats, clinicalskillz! which program were you accepted to?

Stats: 3.0 gpa
630v, 790q

Accepted (all epi): BU, Emory, UIC, USF
Never heard from: UF

Decision: Emory! :)

Accepted: Drexel, UPITT, and SLU
Denied: GWU

Going to : SLU! If UPITT offered its master students some funding would have chosen them!

I applied really late in the game to only 3 schools, and I wasn't expecting to get in at all, so...:

Rejected: None (still waiting to hear from :) )

Final Decision: :) (unless some other school gives me a financial incentive)

So now that I got into :) , I really don't know what to do. After applying so late, I didn't think I'd get any acceptances. Kind of blows my mind!

Last edited:
applied:

drexel (5/17)
U. IOWA (5/1)
Pittsburg (5/17)
St. Louis university (5/17)
Luisville (5/17)
FIU (5/17)

accepted: U. IOWA
Still waiting to hear from others

Final decision: idk yet. I wanna go to Pittsburg.

Anyone going to any of the above school??

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey's Piscataway/New Brunswick campus in Epidemiology

Anyone going there? I'd like to find out which professors are good to take classes with (specifically core public health and epidemiology courses) and who to stay away from.

Feel free to private message me.

Aaron

Rejected: None

Final Decision: ?

I received all of my acceptances within the last 3 weeks.

I'm leaning away from :) now. The program is so new, most of the faculty aren't focused on issues I'm interested in, and it's hard for me to get anyone there to call me back (bummer)....I would love to be that close to Erie and Ontario...

Leaning toward :) . It's so inexpensive and they are very helpful with all of the questions I've had.

But if :) pounced with a tuition waiver (I wish) I'd be all over that.

Last edited:
got accepted Pittsburgh and others but i am going to Pittsburgh
applied:

drexel (5/17)
U. IOWA (5/1)
Pittsburg (5/17)
St. Louis university (5/17)
Luisville (5/17)
FIU (5/17)

accepted: U. IOWA
Still waiting to hear from others

Final decision: idk yet. I wanna go to Pittsburg.

Anyone going to any of the above school??