fall 2015 mcat or spring 2016 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolcats15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore so this summer I was planning to study for the MCAT. However, I have not taken biochem yet as I'm planning on taking it my first semester junior year. Is it possible for me to self study for the biochem section of the MCAT and do well or should I wait until the spring? I am also planning on taking an MCAT review class this summer, any advice on online vs traditional classroom setting? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. You absolutely should take biochemistry I before prepping for the MCAT.

I'd be interested in other's opinions on the prep methods as I'm thinking of using the "Kaplan MCAT 2015 Advantage On Demand" over the summer. TBH, I don't think I could just sit down with a bunch of books and prep without some structure.

I was gonna take the MCAT this year, but I decided to postpone it until more AAMC practice exams are available (meaning I'll take it in 2016). However, I will start to put together an Anki deck relatively soon.

Take Biochem if you can. I can't give a good opinion on the review course. I just think it's better to wait until more material is released.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you take it early if you could wait a couple months and take it after the prereq? It won't affect your app at all.

I'll be there with you taking it in 2016 :)

Take biochem and then take the MCAT. If it was something as small as the physics knowledge tested on the MCAT or something that requires very little background like Psych/Soc, then I would say "Yes, self-study at your own risk" if postponing would otherwise greatly inconvenience you. However, considering how important biochemistry will (allegedly) be on this new exam, I would not risk it and take the course in order to have a strong foundation.

I see no real benefit in rushing it and a lot of risk.

Postpone it till you think you will do well. Trust me, it's not the most fun experience in the world, and you only want to have to take it once. Plus, if you find yourself in the ~33 territory (by current standards), it puts you at a disadvantage for top programs, but it also looks bad if you retake, because it seems like grade grubbing. Moral of the story, only take it when you feel like you will destroy it. I would also wait for as much material as possible to be developed on it, as the more material you can work with, the better you can do. Best of luck either way though!

thanks for all the responses! The reason I was thinking about taking it in the fall is so I would not have to worry about studying for it+ studying for my courses. Regardless, based upon this advice I'll just take my MCAT in the spring. Best of luck to everyone in this process!