Fall schedule questions for an aspiring veterinarian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello USF, (college I'm going to, I just copied the email I sent to the advisers)

Today I registered for my Fall classes which are

Today in Chemistry
College Algebra
Composition 1
20th Century American Culture
University Experience

But this pink paper I have in my hands now that is titled Pre-Professional Health Programs which tells the prerequisites for veterinary school say that I should complete

General Microbiology
Genetics
Statistics
Biochemistry
Calculus
Animal Science

Should I drop my 20th Century American Culture/University Experience
for one of the prerequisites for veterinary school or should I just take those later throughout of my career?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello USF, (college I'm going to, I just copied the email I sent to the advisers)

Today in Chemistry
College Algebra
Composition 1
University Experience

But this pink paper I have in my hands now that is titled Pre-Professional Health Programs which tells the prerequisites for veterinary school say that I should complete

General Microbiology
Genetics
Statistics
Biochemistry
Calculus
Animal Science

for one of the prerequisites for veterinary school or should I just take those later throughout of my career?

Nice to see you back again Ahmad...

Are you a freshman? If you are, then you will need to take a lot of those humanities anyway. Unless you are truly interested, I would say that "Today in Chemistry" may be a waste instead of starting Chem 1.
What are you majoring in? If it's biology, then many of the classes required for vet school will be part of your curriculum anyway. Also keep in mind, some of the classes on that second list cannot be taken until you have completed other pre-requisites.

I would imagine you'd have to take more general biology classes before you could take classes such as Micro, Biochem and Genetics. At least that's how it worked at my school. I had to pass through at least 3 general bio classes to even be allowed to attempt to enroll in an upper level biology class, unless I had special permission from my advisor and the professor teaching the class.

Also, you might not be able to take Calculus or Statistics unless you can prove from high school transcripts that you have experience with Trig/College Algebra already. Again, this is just based on how my undergrad operated.

Have you been assigned an advisor yet? It might be a good idea to contact them or talk to the pre-health/med/vet advisor on your campus. Talking to them or really reading through a course catalog will give you a better idea of whether or not you are even able to take certain classes as a freshman since they often list what is required to take an upper level course.

So if you're going to drop any of those courses, I would drop to take a general Biology class or Chem Class that meets vet school requirements and get you on track to taking upper level classes. Not sure if the Today in Chemistry one would count towards this without a course description.

Members don't see this ad :)
What year of school are you in? Are you looking to get a degree? What is your major? Yes those prereqs are required for most schools and you will need to fit them into your schedule eventually. Depending on your year and your major you may have some over lap.

Like Emiloo said, many of those prereqs also have prereqs that you have to complete before taking the course.

Today in Chemistry
College Algebra
Composition 1
University Experience

General Microbiology
Genetics
Statistics
Biochemistry
Calculus
Animal Science

I graduated from USF a few years ago and took university experience. It is a nice course and is an easy course to bring up your gpa. Today in Chemistry I would not take as it cannot be used for science credit. Instead I would enroll in gen chem one, that way you can start your bio sequence in the spring.

You can go to an advisor but the degree sheets available outside the counselors door are sufficient. I personally would not ask her for any vet school admissions questions; I have found sdn to be much more informative.

Guys I'm a freshman seeking a Bachelors degree in Biology and my concentration is in Integrative Animal Biology.

Today For Chemistry is a Chemistry course. On this sheet I had to refer to when I registered for courses, people with an SAT quantitative/ACT Match score I have should be taking that course (I got a 520 on the SAT and a 22 on the ACT). However, I took AP Statistics this year and I feel confident that I passed the exam which means AP credit, thus I could possibly take General Chemistry. However, the adviser claimed in General Chemistry we needed "substantial knowledge" in order to do well in the difficult course. I took high school chemistry back during junior year, I got a B both semesters but I don't remember much. You think it would be best for me to stay with Today in Chemistry or challenge myself by going to General Chemistry? Also Orca I haven't been assigned an adviser yet, there were many advisers in different rooms helping the many students at USF today. Also the adviser claimed we had to take a Chemistry course before we took a Biology course and this was applicable to all science majors.

OK so if I get a report next month claiming I passed my AP Statistics exam, I can get into Statistics and General Chemistry if I want. But if I don't remember that much Chemistry, what should I do?

Guys I'm a freshman seeking a Bachelors degree in Biology and my concentration is in Integrative Animal Biology.

Today For Chemistry is a Chemistry course. On this sheet I had to refer to when I registered for courses, people with an SAT quantitative/ACT Match score I have should be taking that course (I got a 520 on the SAT and a 22 on the ACT). However, I took AP Statistics this year and I feel confident that I passed the exam which means AP credit, thus I could possibly take General Chemistry. However, the adviser claimed in General Chemistry we needed "substantial knowledge" in order to do well in the difficult course. I took high school chemistry back during junior year, I got a B both semesters but I don't remember much. You think it would be best for me to stay with Today in Chemistry or challenge myself by going to General Chemistry? Also Orca I haven't been assigned an adviser yet, there were many advisers in different rooms helping the many students at USF today. Also the adviser claimed we had to take a Chemistry course before we took a Biology course and this was applicable to all science majors.

I took highschool chem my sophomore year of highschool and took chem 1 in college without any other chemistry. It being "difficult" is relative I think, and it is gen chem 1, not physical or analytical chem, so I'm not sure why they told you that you would need "substantial knowledge" :confused: I say go for Chem 1. You might as well find out right away if you are capable of the heavy sciences or not. :)

I agree with everyone that Today in Chemistry likely isn't going to count for much in the end. You really should take the Gen Chem class. Otherwise you're just pushing off when you'll be able to take O Chem as well.

And from my experience, Gen Chem was a lot of what I did in high school Honors Chem. I don't know if that's how it is for everyone or was just the case for me cause my high school has a pretty decent ranking. With that being said, Gen Chem was hard for me when I first took it. Although it was a lot of material I had done previously (at least the 1st semester was) I ended up dropping the course and taking it the summer. Put in just as much effort over the summer and aced it. Not quite sure what my deal was,but I think it just had to deal with adjusting to college life and realizing that I actually had to do work and attend class unlike a lot of my friends. So if you take this route, just know that you might have to make some sacrifices and put the extra work in.

Gen Chem might end up being challenging for you, but I personally wouldn't want to waste my time on a class that isn't going to meet the requirements for courses I need to take later on or for veterinary school for that matter. That's just my take on it.

OK so if I get a report next month claiming I passed my AP Statistics exam, I can get into Statistics and General Chemistry if I want. But if I don't remember that much Chemistry, what should I do?

At my school if you were a science major you automatically took Gen Chem, there was no intro chem course. Gen Chem is a lot of information (I found it more difficult than Organic), but it is nothing you can't learn. If I were you I would sign up for Gen Chem, that way you are taking a course you need for vet school, your major, and you are not wasting your money. You will be taking much harder courses in the future then Gen Chem that you will enter in with even more limited knowledge and have to preform.

I took highschool chem my sophomore year of highschool and took chem 1 in college without any other chemistry. It being "difficult" is relative I think, and it is gen chem 1, not physical or analytical chem, so I'm not sure why they told you that you would need "substantial knowledge" :confused: I say go for Chem 1. You might as well find out right away if you are capable of the heavy sciences or not. :)

Psh. I must look super smart cause I got an A- in P Chem. Haha. I kid. Seriously. All my other Chem grades are less than stellar. Definitely only did that because my professor was an ex-stoner (maybe still is one actually) who was too busy getting through law school to actually teach us anything. If the normal professor taught the course, I totally would have been effed.

I would recommend getting started on your gen chem and intro biology classes, since those are pre-reqs for the upper level classes and it can take multiple semesters to complete all of them. Personally, I'm of the belief that you should try to get as many of your pre-vet requirements take care of as soon as possible. That's probably because I went through a graduate level class on Western Social Ethics :)barf:) and decided there was a good reason I was science major and not humanities. :laugh:

So if Today in Chemistry isn't recognized as a science credit does that mean veterinary schools will frown upon me for taking it which would negatively affect my chances of get accepted.

Also I know I sound like a noob but would I get in trouble for changing General Chemistry for Today For Chemistry if my test scores aren't up to par for their recommendations because I'm not trying to create trouble with the advisers 20 days before I actually start school. I told you guys I got a B in Honors Chemistry, if I'm dedicating that day to that class only do you think I can do well. I mean I'm also taking University Experience on the similar days I believe but this class is a complete joke because I heard the class is to help you adjust you to college life by giving you advice on studying habits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trouble with advisors? If you don't like yours, switch to a different one. I didn't like mine and got a different one and feel so much better about it.

Wow so I check the prerequisites for Gen Chem and they say

550 SAT Quantitative score or completion of MAC 1105 College Algebra with a C or better AND one year of high school chemistry or completion of CHM 2023 with a grade of C or better.

I'm 30 points below for the SAT
Hopefully if I passed my AP Statistics exam I could waive the completion of College Algebra
and of course I finished chemistry in high school.

So if Today in Chemistry isn't recognized as a science credit does that mean veterinary schools will frown upon me for taking it which would negatively affect my chances of get accepted.

Also I know I sound like a noob but would I get in trouble for changing General Chemistry for Today For Chemistry if my test scores aren't up to par for their recommendations because I'm not trying to create trouble with the advisers 20 days before I actually start school. I told you guys I got a B in Honors Chemistry, if I'm dedicating that day to that class only do you think I can do well. I mean I'm also taking University Experience on the similar days I believe but this class is a complete joke because I heard the class is to help you adjust you to college life by giving you advice on studying habits.

I don't put much weight on ACT scores on how well you will preform in college classes. If you think you can put the time in and study for the class, you should sign up for Chen Chem. I doubt your adviser would say much to you about your test scores and your corresponding classes, their job is to make sure you graduate with the needed classes.

Taking the Today in Chem class wont look negatively on your transcript to vet schools, they just won't count it towards your science GPA, so it will essentially be a wasted science class. It will still count to your over all GPA though, but I think it would be best to go ahead and take the Gen Chem class sense you have to take it eventually.

idk who my adviser is yet but I think I'm just going to wait until July when I get my AP scores. If I pass AP Statistics I'll definitely change my Chemistry classes.

550 SAT Quantitative score or completion of MAC 1105 College Algebra with a C or better AND one year of high school chemistry or completion of CHM 2023 with a grade of C or better.

Hopefully if I passed my AP Statistics exam I could waive the completion of College Algebra

So this is where your pre-req to a pre-req comes into play. This may happen for a few science courses you have to take.

Now for the prerequisites for veterinary school, (animal science, genetics microbiology, etc.)

These are classes I assume I'll be taking after my freshman year since I have to finish the lower level Biology courses.

Now for the prerequisites for veterinary school, (animal science, genetics microbiology, etc.)

These are classes I assume I'll be taking after my freshman year since I have to finish the lower level Biology courses.

This is correct.

Honestly, it all ends up being up to you and how you handle the adjustment to college. I took on a lot my first semester of college and I think that's part of the reason my Chem grade suffered. In addition to my courses, I worked PT (15-20 hr/wk) and got involved in a club sport and a service program. Plus, I was more interested in staying up till 2 AM doing nothing when I should have been studying. I soon realized that I wasn't able to do that. My degree and career goals just didn't allow for it.

It might be easier if Gen Chem is the only class you have a certain day because then you can just worry about studying for that test instead of worrying about other homework that might be due. I think doing this might make things a little easier, but there is no way we can predict how you're going to do.

I'll see in July if I pass my AP Stat exam and hopefully if I do, I'm changing to General Chemistry I mean Fall classes for me start August 27th.

Correct. I'm not sure about animal science, but I think genetics and micro probably require a pre-req. You will also run into problems with getting into those classes. Upper classmen will fill those classes before you can even enroll in them half the time.

That's true you just met me on the internet haha. I'm just a noob to this and I know how hard the nest 4 years of my life are going to be so I'm just preparing the best way I can.

Animal science I believe isn't involved in the Biology sharrades since they have their own major. but if anyone knows if I should drop my electives for Animal Science let me know or else I guess I'm just going have to learn how to study and culture in our country during the last decade.

That's true you just met me on the internet haha. I'm just a noob to this and I know how hard the nest 4 years of my life are going to be so I'm just preparing the best way I can.

You'll be fine. See how much nicer we are when you are nice to us? :D (you didn't fool me;)).

Don't be afraid to get help for classes you struggle with. Too many people let their GPA drop before they are willing to ask for help. Your school usually has free or cheap tutors. Best of luck to you! :luck:

Thanks dude yeah the tutors at my school are free and at this point of my life I know I can't afford to be afraid to ask for help when I need it but I'm definitely coming back to this website if I need help for my road to veterinary school.

Thanks dude yeah the tutors at my school are free and at this point of my life I know I can't afford to be afraid to ask for help when I need it but I'm definitely coming back to this website if I need help for my road to veterinary school.

:thumbup: This website is more helpful than anything I've ever come across. We are here when you need us.

I would listen to the university on this. I think a lot of the time pre-meds or pre-vet students feel obligated to take challenging courses first semester and then give up or have to do serious GPA repair. Some students had great high school educations and had no trouble adjusting to college... but this is not the majority at most places.

If I had your standardized test scores, I would stick with the schedule you have laid out. It doesn't sound like you got a fantastic high school education and you want to set yourself up for success by easing yourself into college and learning how to study. Learning how to study before tackling any serious pre-requisite classes is a great idea. It may mean that you end up taking hard classes your senior year of college, but doing well the first time around is good.

That said... challenge yourself if you feel up to it. If you say, "I will get an A" and then commit yourself 100% to getting an A, then take General Chemistry. If you say "I will try to get an A" but don't care if you get a C, then wait until you have all of your ducks in a row.

Thanks, I'm getting off this site for a bit. Thank you to all the users you guys answered all my questions and gave me some more. Bye.

Talk to the professor of the course in person. At my school they could waive certain requirements if they talk to you and think you can handle it

Since you're seeking a BS in Bio, try this.

Hunt down all of the classes required for your degree - not the electives, just the required classes. Write them all down.
Then go through and put a star next to those classes required for your degree that are also required to apply to USF.

Follow this path. These are the classes you will need to take, as most of them serve as pre-reqs for upper-level science courses.

Now write down all of the science-oriented electives you are able to take for your degree. I'll bet Genetics, Biochem, and Micro are on there, if they're not on the previous list you just made; again, star those that you need for vet school.

Remember you have 4 years to acquire your pre-reqs, but also keep in mind that you have a degree to complete as well.

When I first began undergrad, my science seminar made us write out a 4-year plan. I kept up with mine and adjusted it semester by semester, but it really helped me to visualize where I was and where I was headed in terms of both my degree and my applications to vet school.

Wouldn't my advisers do that for me or am I responsible for that in college?

Wouldn't my advisers do that for me or am I responsible for that in college?

It's all on you. =)

You may be required to meet with your advisor a certain number of times each year to ensure you're on track with your courses/degree, but actually putting together your gameplan is up to you. Usually the first year is easy, because there are a certain number of "core" classes you have to take that fill up your schedule, but once you knock those out of the way it's your job to pull together the classes you want to take. And register for them. And pay for them.

:D

Hello visitor, my new username will be USF Ahmad Eldee. I've done some mistakes by lashing out against some members because I didn't understand the rules of studentdoctor forums and I felt you guys were being too harsh. I want to extend my apologies to everybody that I'm sorry and my new account will signify a new me, who'll be a contributing member to the forums and ask questions ONLY until I can't get them answered through my research. I'm posting this on every single thread I've made to ensure that each member I've done wrong can see this and earn back the respect of the pre-veterinary community. Take care.

Last edited:
I enrolled in a senior level bio course, originally thinking it was going to be geared entirely towards genetics and I was going to use this class as an elective (I only have electives to fill at this point in my undergraduate degree). After attending a few classes, it seems to be that this class is a lot about microassays and more chemistry then I had expected.

The course name is Functional Genomics and Molecular Networks and I am worried that I am engaging in a course that is not necessary and would not benefit me in the long run if I get accepted into veterinary medicine.

I was wondering what you all think. Is this a course I should remain in and take because it would help me in veterinary school? Is it a waste of my time and not needed? I am concerned it may drop my GPA (since it is an elective, and a difficult elective at that) and since I am just about to submit my applications, I do not want to sabotage myself but if the consensus is that this class would help me in the long run, I will seek any and all help to get te best grade possible.

Thanks!

I don't think this is a class that is going to help you much for vet med. I think it's interesting as hell and would take it for sure, but I have a MS in Genetics. If you're interested, stay in it. If you're not, drop it.

Agreed with nyanko, it doesn't sound particularly helpful, so I'd drop it before it impacts your GPA - if you withdraw early enough it usually doesn't even show up on your transcript.

Agreed with nyanko, it doesn't sound particularly helpful, so I'd drop it before it impacts your GPA - if you withdraw early enough it usually doesn't even show up on your transcript.

I think the course I withdrew from still showed up on my transcript but didn't impact my GPA or anything like that.

So if you're still in your add/drop period, I'd drop it now if you're not really interested to avoid it showing up on your transcript at all and maybe try to replace it with something you're more interested in.