fall schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a freshman this year and just got my fall schedule, i'm just taking a general chemistry course along with a college algebra to prepare for calculus in my second semester, the only thing is i feel that taking general chem might of been a bad idea but my advisor suggested it as a good refresher and a good class to transition into college, will this hurt me later on in terms of having to "catch up" instead of taking Pchem my first semester, I'll be taking the advanced chem course along w calc my second semester and these are suppose to be classes meant to ease you into the harder ones. forgot to mention all together im taking 15 s.h

Members don't see this ad.

It would be impossible to take pchem without knowing calculus. Your head would explode.

well thats the thing i just feel like i'm taking to light of a course load, i want to have all my chemistry reqs done by my 2nd year, and with my major i'll be taking alot of biology so i'm not to stressed about that, but i'm concerned with my chemistry courses and where my advisor put me

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it be a bad transition? Have you already taken AP chemistry? If not your going to need to take chemistry 1 and 2 and then organic. Let me just stress that in all honesty you'll need chemistry 1 and 2 for the mcat.
Also unless your a biochem or chemistry major there's no point in take physical chem. And Personally I think you shouldn't take physical chemistry till your junior year before which you take the calculus series up to 3 and consider dif equations.

BTW light course load or heavy course load doesn't matter, get A's your way.

Last edited:
No i didnt take any AP chem in high school, I'm taking chem 1&2 this year, then probably organic my sophomore year

I just thought that my advisor telling me to take a easier general chem course my first semester seemed like a bad idea instead of taking the priniciples of chem,

No i didnt take any AP chem in high school, I'm taking chem 1&2 this year, then probably organic my sophomore year

Ok then. That's what about 95% of pre-meds do. However were you put in remedial chemistry? Like chemistry for those with no chemistry in high school? Or in regular series chem 1 and 2?
Because if you were put in chem 1 then your completely fine.

Btw my advice to you. Take a easy course load your first semester. You'll need to spend sometime getting used to college and college life.

well thats the thing i just feel like i'm taking to light of a course load, i want to have all my chemistry reqs done by my 2nd year, and with my major i'll be taking alot of biology so i'm not to stressed about that, but i'm concerned with my chemistry courses and where my advisor put me

You're paying the bills here, ultimately you can take whatever the hell you want. Why not do the typical freshman semester: chem 1, bio 1, math, english 1?