fall semester grade update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools I've applied to have an online academic update form to tell them about grades that came out after you submitted your secondary but before your file has been reviewed in total... For the others I'm assuming that I'm just supposed to send a letter about this, but I was curious if that was the case? If so, what kind of letter do we write?

"to whom it may concern,
I've received the following grades for the courses that were in progress when I applied to your school:
BIOLXXXX : A
CHEMXXX : A
I would appreciate it if you could add this to my application file...."

something short along those lines???????

thanks for any responses

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools I've applied to have an online academic update form to tell them about grades that came out after you submitted your secondary but before your file has been reviewed in total... For the others I'm assuming that I'm just supposed to send a letter about this, but I was curious if that was the case? If so, what kind of letter do we write?

"to whom it may concern,
I've received the following grades for the courses that were in progress when I applied to your school:
BIOLXXXX : A
CHEMXXX : A
I would appreciate it if you could add this to my application file...."

something short along those lines???????

thanks for any responses

looks good to me...dont think it will make to much of a difference but any update will show your interest in the school

Agreed with Falco, unless they were REALLLY teetering on acceptance and somehow those A's push them over it is going to be the fact that you took the time to write them that will help. Showing interest in the school is a positive thing. On that note, looks great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to make the same decision. I was thinking about writing a personal letter just telling them what I've been doing during the fall semester, and sending an updated sealed copy of my transcript, or unofficial copy.

I want to do the same thing. What would be more professional? Sending a letter with a printed copy of your grades and then sending an official transcript OR sending a letter stating taht you an official transcript is on its way?

What I plan on doing is writing a letter simply saying that I am updating my file with grades, etc, and write about my interest in the school. Then attach an unofficial transcript. So rather than list my grades in the letter, they can just see the transcript. It feels more formal to me when done that way.:p

What I plan on doing is writing a letter simply saying that I am updating my file with grades, etc, and write about my interest in the school. Then attach an unofficial transcript. So rather than list my grades in the letter, they can just see the transcript. It feels more formal to me when done that way.:p
Would you write anything about an upward trend in the last 3 semesters cmpared to my first two years of college or is that obvious?

Do med schools expect us to update them with our Fall '06 grades? That is, if we don't, is that looked upon unfavorably by the admissions committees?

I faxed each of the schools I am applying to with my updated transcript including a very simple, to the point letter asking that they include the update with my 2007 application. Any new grades will improve my situation because I started my post bacc with a 3.2 GPA and any additional semesters of A's will only help.

Thats exactly what I plan on doing. State that I'm updating my file and then include a copy of an unofficial transcipt. They don't need an official transcript but attaching a copy gives it alittle more credit.

Would you write anything about an upward trend in the last 3 semesters cmpared to my first two years of college or is that obvious?

Personally, I wouldn't. They have your other grades, they can see the fact that there was an upward trend. I think it would come off as you're simply just trying to do/say whatever they want to hear.

So a simple letter stating like
My name is blah blah and I am sending my fall 06 grades to update my application and maybe something stating how I want to go to this or that school?

i think im gonna send them my grades along with a small paragraph about my interest. Hopefully it works.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick thing, to whom are you guys addressing your updates to? The dean, the adcom, the office? Also, do you think sending an email with the same letter in addition to the hard copy letter is acceptable? I don't want the hard copy to be lost in the jumble of snail mail and not be added to my file.

Quick thing, to whom are you guys addressing your updates to? The dean, the adcom, the office? Also, do you think sending an email with the same letter in addition to the hard copy letter is acceptable? I don't want the hard copy to be lost in the jumble of snail mail and not be added to my file.

Bump

I think I am going to call the admissions offices of the schools I am applying to in order to find out what method of updating my file they would prefer. Is that good form?

I think I am going to call the admissions offices of the schools I am applying to in order to find out what method of updating my file they would prefer. Is that good form?

The schools I called so far seem closed for the holidays =/

I'm not sure who to address this letter to as well.

Thats exactly what I plan on doing. State that I'm updating my file and then include a copy of an unofficial transcipt. They don't need an official transcript but attaching a copy gives it alittle more credit.

Did you find this from their website, that they stated explicityly that an official transcript is not needed?

So...with a B+ in Physical chemisry by 4.0 science GPA just took a dip. Should I still send Fall grades to schools that do not explicitly request it?

I want to send an updated transcript to some the schools I have applied to because I did well this past semester. However, the transcript will also indicate that I will only be a part-time student in the spring (because I fulfilled the credit requirements to graduate, and its a lot cheaper this way). Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to put a postitive spin on this situation so that schools dont think I'm just slacking off?

Are you guys sending update letters/transcripts to only some schools you applied to or all? I applied to quite a few schools (approx. 25), and that's a whole lot of letters! :D

i just sent a transcript from my school to each of the schools. then again i only applied to 7. no letter or paragraph....prob not that smart. well, a week and a half later i got an interview from one of the places that'd been taking forever....i don't know if they're related but i'd like to pretend so.

I have a question guys! if I had a 4.0 BCPM and 3.95 overall GPA when i submitted my AMCAS, should i send in my grades to schools if they were like this:
Gross Mammalian Anatomy: B
some Gen Ed class: A
Exper. Biochem: A
Environmental Issues (Bio elective): A
Thanks!!

A trollish post, but I'll answer it anyways: NO!

I was planning on sending an email to the schools that I wish to update. Should I just copy and paste my grades for the semester into the email?

A trollish post, but I'll answer it anyways: NO!

First of all, what makes you think its "trollish"? and secondly, why do you say no??

I was considering sending an update letter but I am wondering if this is worthwhile or not. I graduated last semester and got a 4.0 GPA for 16 credits of challenging science work, but now I am just working because I need to get insurance and all that jazz now that I am no longer in school. So, I don't really have anything to update other than my 4.0 and that I'm still working in a hospital, only a lot more. Is it worthwhile to send an update letter now? I have a few schools at which I interviewed but have not gotten decisions from yet and those are the ones that I would send the letter to... No one I've talked to about this has given me a straight answer and I'm starting to feel like theres no point!
Thanks...