Falling about 7% short of Class Average & residencies

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by KentuckySteve, Oct 26, 2002.

1. KentuckySteve

KentuckySteve Junior Member

I seem to be having some problems keeping up with the class average. I think part of the reason may be that alot of my classmates have already taken histology, while it is new to me. Even though this is just the first semester, I am worried what affects this will have on my ability to choose a residency. I am going to my state school and therefore can not rely upon the name of my med school for furthering my chances of achieving a residency position. If I am below the class average will I still be able to obtain a residency in general surgery, emergency medicine or anesthesiology as these are the residencies I am interested in. Any, information, input, advice, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...

First of all, don't think that your class performance on the first few subjects of first year are at all predictive of later performances. Generally, people who kick butt on the basic science stuff may or may not do so well on the clinical stuff (like second year subjects). Also, early high performers can burn out, and other people who are steady and consistent tend to pull ahead. ALSO, the clinical performances, especially third year, probably matter the most, and are fairly loosely tied to how people performed in their first two years. So, lots of reason to think things may change in your future.

Board scores are mucho important to most competitive residency selections comittees, so there's something to focus on.

This is only the first inning of a very long game. Get down some good, consistent study habits, work hard on developing good teamwork and social skills for your clinic years, and you'll find doors open to wherever you want to go.

4. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt

Attending Physician
    General surgery and anesthesiology programs are not competitive (except at the most prestigious of places). Emergency medicine is competitive but it is unlikely that your first two years will weigh in heavily with the exception of your Step 1 score.

mike

5. Bikini Princess

FYI - I'd like to suggest some modifications to the above post, just to clarify the info presented.

I think anesthesiology is certainly becoming a much more competitive residency.

I also think most residents would agree that G.S. & Anes. are still more competitive than ER, almost anywhere.

It's true that G.S. has suffered a lack of interest in the past decade, but I strongly believe this will change with the advent of the 80/hr regulations.

Your MS1,2 grades help determine your class rank and/or AOA and other scholarships, honor societies, etc. It's true they are not as important as evals, recs, and step exam scores for the match. But they do help set the tone for your performance on Step I.

6. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    Just to clarify the previous post a little bit. She's wrong about point one, and point number 2. #3, I have no real info on, but I think most hospitals just make you say you are doing 80 hours. I know that time spent writing up reports and in seminars don't count to the 80 hours.

Point #4, she's right on, except AOA is up there with the other important ones if you want a really competative residency.

7. me109cito

me109cito Banned
    Banned

key word: B]if you want a really competitive residency[/B]

8. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    To correct the above poster, key wordS.

9. many schools, including mine, are H/P/F or P/F and do not rank their students whatsoever based on class averages during the first two years. P=M.D. is a big deal here, and AOA is determined mostly by your grades during year 3 (which change to H/HP/P/LP/F) and your USMLE I score (and USMLE II may factor in if you take it within a certain time period). My interviewing group preceptor from last year honored NO science courses during her first 2 years, but kicked @$$ on USMLE I and II and was admitted to AOA. She is now a resident in OB/GYN at Yale-New Haven.

I personally have honored only 1 science class and have been more than 7 points below the average on tests more times than I care to admit.. So you should be fine as long as you are passing the tests and learning what you need to.

10. Lara

Lara Senior Member

Medical Student
    Thanks Katie - with my second set of exams coming up next week and not enough time to study, I needed to hear a story like that! :)