Falling asleep during the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summer Sweet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took a practice test today, and I notice some people get sleepy in the middle of it....I'm not saying who, but some people doze off here and there, but luckily no one just fell back in their chairs and started snoring. What are you guys doing to combat tiredness on the real MCAT test date? This question especially goes out to the people who are studying whilst taking classes--who have classes early in the morning and a prep course late at night or vice versa.

On a side note, doesn't life seem to suck when you're not pulling the score you want?

Members don't see this ad.

Stress and adrenaline keeps you awake and alert through the first half.

If you eat a decent lunch that will keep you awake for the rest of the test. (Bio you'll be exhausted no matter what you do)

i drink tons of caffeine (sugar free)

but that makes me have to pee

i like ginkgo biloba.

and yeah not pulling the right scores will mess up your head =-(

i fell asleep way back when while taking the SAT, and i did fine. that said, i was amped up enough for the MCAT that i had no problem with sleepiness. don't stay up all night/week before it or do anything equally stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
gapotts2003 said:
Stress and adrenaline keeps you awake and alert through the first half.

If you eat a decent lunch that will keep you awake for the rest of the test. (Bio you'll be exhausted no matter what you do)

Strangely, I'm not as tired during Bio. I think it's because during the Writing section, I'm active the entire hour so it's ok after. Verbal is the big one, though, because even if I make it through PS conscious, I'm already tired from 100 minutes of bubbling.

Lunch makes me sleepy lol...maybe I'm not eating the right thing? I heard bananas and turkey are bad, but that's about as far as I know.

I spent my lunch hour taking a nap (I lived close to the MCAT testing site) and then ate a couple of slices of pizza on the car ride back the testing site. Also, took in a Red Bull at lunch.