Agast

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
the river lethe
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone seeing prescription adderall and phentermine showing up as ecstacy on a confirmatory urine tox screen? Internet search just pulls up a bunch of drug addicts trying to pass tests.

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
anyone seen lidocaine come up false positive for cocaine?

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
hmm.. Patient using uppers caught with more uppers.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
What are the quants? I've not seen Adderall show as Ecstasy, but sometimes as methamphetamine (which is permitted as a trace impurity in the manufacturing process). Ask your lab to do a "peak review" of the ion chromaotogram/spectrogram and see what m/z is actually showing up. You can "conjure" methamphetamine from amphetamine in the ionization process of mass spectroscopy resulting in a FP. Maybe some similar chemistry happens resulting in MDMA.

melancholy

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2000
California
Status
Attending Physician
your LCMS/GCMS confirmatory study triggered by a screen should ferret out methamphetamine, amphetamine, MDMA, etc.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2011
Middle of Oregon
Status
Attending Physician
FYI, methamphetamine - Desoxyn - is a schedule II Rx'd by sleep medicine.

OP
Agast

Agast

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2009
the river lethe
Status
Attending Physician
What are the quants? I've not seen Adderall show as Ecstasy, but sometimes as methamphetamine (which is permitted as a trace impurity in the manufacturing process). Ask your lab to do a "peak review" of the ion chromaotogram/spectrogram and see what m/z is actually showing up. You can "conjure" methamphetamine from amphetamine in the ionization process of mass spectroscopy resulting in a FP. Maybe some similar chemistry happens resulting in MDMA.
No quants listed. I ended up calling the lab and they said positive for ecstasy is positive for ecstasy.

It's just upsetting because I've taken care of this patient for months, weathered the recent death of a parent, rejoiced over the birth of a grandkid, came up with treatment plans for back and knee issues that need surgery and now that's all meaningless because I can't trust them anymore. I'm usually not sad when I have to fire someone.