Fam Med - feel like I'm falling behind! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpppplease121

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on fam med and feeling like I'm not performing that well. For one thing, it is mainly just the doctor and me. I'm the only med student at this location. I feel like this does allow me to do a lot more but, also it seems like my preceptor snaps at me a lot.

At mid-course evaluation, she told me that I was doing "exceptionally well" and she had no other feedback for me, even when I explicitly asked her for criticism. That was 2 weeks ago. I've hardly found much time to ask her for feedback since then, we are both seeing patients non-stop all day, and at the end of the day, I'll be sitting in her office and preparing to ask some questions when the medical assistant will come in and start gossiping with my preceptor about whoever was in that day. (It's a small private practice fam med clinic, and they've known a lot of the pts for years and years) Now, with 3 days left of my rotation, I finally had a chance to ask her and she scoffed at me "with 3 days left of your rotation? yeah, I'd like you to work on your presentation" then she went into a long story about a patient I saw today and how "he's so complicated" and then she walks outside and gets into her car and doesn't give me any explicit feedback.

I obviously wasn't going to press her as she was literally getting into her car. I'm worried that I won't do very well in this rotation because maybe I'm not doing well and she just hasn't told me, also it doesn't seem like she even likes me that much. She also does some sketchy things I disagree with like HRT and claims the hormones she prescribes are natural and prevent breast cancer (that's a load of bologna). I just nod and try my best to be pleasant at all times.

The medical assistant will also snap at me, today she told me to go to see patients when I was actually waiting on the pt to get his vaccine so I could take him back. Of course I never argue or get upset, but it's frustrating. I don't know how to do better. I actually REALLY like fam medicine and could see myself doing it someday - but disappointed with this rotation as I feel like the doctor and I haven't "clicked".

Members don't see this ad.

Your preceptor said you are doing "exceptionally well." Past that, sounds like alot of things that are outside of your control. You aren't going to click with everyone you work with. Some people you will flat out dislike. Thats life. That said, I don't know why you are stressing. If you want to go into Fam Med, its not like you have to get honors in the rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
Your preceptor said you are doing "exceptionally well." Past that, sounds like alot of things that are outside of your control. You aren't going to click with everyone you work with. Some people you will flat out dislike. Thats life. That said, I don't know why you are stressing. If you want to go into Fam Med, its not like you have to get honors in the rotation.

Oh really? I think I *might* want fam medicine, but afraid that this less-than-amazing rotation experience could affect that. While I do enjoy a lot of things about the rotation, my preceptor just gets on my nerves. She spends a lot of time telling me about how amazing her husband is because he packs her lunch everydayand she doesn't know how to turn on an oven (and she's never been inside a grocery store) because he treats her like a princess and does all the cooking/cleaning/grocery shopping. It's all I can do nod and tell her what a great life she has.

Members don't see this ad :)
one thing i learned from 3rd year early on is to not ask for feedback

Reactions: 1 users
lol uhhh what?? you're kidding right? how am I supposed to know how I'm doing??

I couldn't stand my attendings on some rotations. You need to know if you like the specialty, not one person you can't stand. Do some family electives later in 4th year if you don't know.

A quick "anything I should go practice this weekend?" or "is there anything you'd like me to read up on?" is good. Unless you know you are sucking at something or cannot read your preceptor or have a disconnect with them, keep working hard, showing up and reading up as you are (or should be).

Should've been more assertive, OP. For whatever the reason, a lot of people- especially attendings and residents on rotation- can't stand when you're submissive.

lol uhhh what?? you're kidding right? how am I supposed to know how I'm doing??

not kidding. many attendings dont provide great feedback anyways. then there are those attendings that will then ask you to tell them what you need to work on when you ask for feedback, then write what you said in your eval. yea thats super cool of them to do that

It's pathetic how much ass-kissing we have to do out of necessity to make it in this profession.

Any swinging d*ck and his brother could match into FM.