familial dyslipidemias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i'm a little confused about all the dyslipidemias in first aid (just dont understand how you get an increase in VLDL in one where as an increase in VLDL and IDL in another). does anyone have a good easy source for that? i know that i could just memorize the table in first aid. but i'm really trying to understand the big picture. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

IDL is just VLDL that has lost its ApoC-II, which is the cofactor needed for lipoprotein lipase.

I think that if VLDL alone is elevated, there probably has to be a problem with hepatic production of VLDL (be abnormally high). If you have a problem with apoC-ii/LPL this would also cause an elevation of VLDL without an increase in IDL, but you would also get tons of chylomicrons floating around.

for elevated VLDL/IDL alone, it seems to me you would also need a couple of things to happen, among them being that the liver can't clear IDL which could be due to a defect in ApoE-hepatic R, and that could possibly increase VLDL production as a secondary effect.

Other opinions appreciated.

what helped me to get thru the maze is to look at a cartoon rendition of the dyslipidemias pathophysiology.Its kinda confusing to just read and understand it,but if you look at the pic and do the reading it will help u.
All most all biochem books have the pic ,my biochem sec in FA 2005 has it as well.
For it to stick big pic wise you have to know waht the apos,chylos ,LCATS,B100 & 48 mean---
oh yeah while you do this sec also look at the pharm sec and the drugs will make sense too.