family and career in opthy

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Nestle, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Nestle

Nestle Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi - this is a great forum, i think I may be posting here often in the future. I've heard a lot about how great the opthy lifestyle is, as far as not having that much call, etc. But I haven't gotten the chance to speak to any female ophthalmologists. I was just wondering how flexible you can be with this specialty in terms of working part-time (esp in private practice). Do such opportunities exist in this field? are they difficult to find? I know its definitely possible in family practice, maybe even in ob-gyn. Is it difficult to balance family and career in opthy? after all, it is a surgical specialty...

thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Hi Nestle,

Ophthalmology is one of the few careers that's conducive to having a family and life outside of medicine. The average private practice general ophthalmologist works 4 days per week. Call is few so you're not tied down to your office.

You can work part time. I can imagine you having 2 days of clinic and 1 day of surgery.

In addition, if you later decide that you want to work more, then you can do a fellowship in retina and be on call all the time. :)

Good luck!

4. rotty1021

rotty1021 Member
    7+ Year Member

Andrew,

Do all Optho fellowhips usually ensure lots of call time? I think that I'd be pretty happy doing a general Optho practice, but something in the field may spark my interest. Thanks.

5. Andrew_Doan

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most of the fellowships do not require a lot of call nor do they require working on the weekend. This may vary from program to program, however. I think the two fellowships requiring the most call and work are: oculoplastics and retina.

6. TomOD

TomOD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician

8. MrGreed

MrGreed Member
    7+ Year Member

what's the median pre-tax income of a retina surgeon after paying off all expenses?

9. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
  10. rotty1021

rotty1021 Member
    7+ Year Member

Andrew, thanks for the response. About that webpage with the physician salaries, don't most of them look pretty low? Are these accurate or just some low guess?

11. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    I believe that this is fairly accurate for the average in each field. There's also a high end too. I don't think the salaries are low at all. How are you judging what physicians should make?

Some will make more and some will make less. You have to remember that these are averages.

12. rotty1021

rotty1021 Member
    7+ Year Member

I understand. I was judging the averages on newspaper articles that I've read.