Family and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carc2023

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a father of three and I am hoping to attend medical school in a couple of years. My question is how much family time do you have in medical school? Any responses from parents who have attended or are in medical school as a parent would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an MS1, and have a wife and 21 month old son. I can honestly saw that I believe I spend more time with my son now than when I was working full-time. Of course, I adjust my studying around the boy (i.e start studying after he goes to bed or in the morning before he gets up). I am living proof it can be done. I also try to never study on the weekends unless I have a big test coming up on Monday.

Good luck.

I have the same concern about being able to spend time with family under a pressing academic work load. It will be a change to not have to work and go to school, which has been the story of my undergraduate life for the last five years. How strange will it be to not have to worry about making it to work on time while freaking out about a test you have to study for? I hope to find a balance between school and home as well. Good luck.