Family coming out for white coat ceremony

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an incoming MS1 and my white coat ceremony will take place a couple weeks after classes start. I have a couple of family members that will be flying from out of state and visiting for a few days over a weekend.

Random question, but will I most likely be knee-deep in studying over that weekend? Because I’d feel extremely bad if I won’t be able to hang out with them too much since I might have studying obligations. I think they know I’ll be busy, but I’d still feel like an a-hole knowing they spent a lot of money to fly out to see me and I can’t see them much.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think anyone on the message boards can know your school’s schedule. Once you start you’ll likely get information about when you’ll have tests/quizzes. Med school is all about balance. Even if you do have a test right after your ceremony you’ll still be able to spend some time with your family, just plan ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m an incoming MS1 and my white coat ceremony will take place a couple weeks after classes start. I have a couple of family members that will be flying from out of state and visiting for a few days over a weekend.

Random question, but will I most likely be knee-deep in studying over that weekend? Because I’d feel extremely bad if I won’t be able to hang out with them too much since I might have studying obligations. I think they know I’ll be busy, but I’d still feel like an a-hole knowing they spent a lot of money to fly out to see me and I can’t see them much.

You'll have plenty of time to study, and your first year classes don't even matter. Spend that time with your family. Do something that you'll actually remember--more than you'll remember what the nerve and artery supply of left toe is.

Save yourself before eight years pass and you become the person who has missed out on every birth marriage and death in your family because you were too busy taking care of other peoples' families who didn't even raise you.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully you don't plan on living like a monk for the next four years. One weekend won't kill you, make time for the important things in life.

Reactions: 4 users
Take the weekend off. This is important.

You need to be flexible with your time. Sometimes you can't stick to an exact schedule and need to be comfortable with making it up.

The idea of cutting out 4 years of your 20's/30's and living like a hermit during medical school is silly You still need to have a life. Is it gonna start when you're a resident? An attending? When you're department chair? Oh wait, now you're old.

Reactions: 8 users
I really doubt it. A lot of medical schools will often pair their orientation period with the white coat ceremony. And if your program is systems based, the first block is typically a lot of college science classes smushed into one.

White coat is for you! Celebrate your accomplishment, for you and the people who helped you get there.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you going to Miami? if so, the first two weeks dont seem like"real" classes (just like intro stuff, how to interview patients, etc.). The real lectures start Aug 26th according to the schedule they emailed us

Reactions: 1 user
I know it seems that medical students study all day every day, but that really isn't the case if you are a well-adjusted/rounded student. Its efficiency > time spent, that's the key. When I first started, I thought I would be studying 16 hours per day. In reality, I studied 4-8 hours per day and took weekends off or 1 weekend day off during stressful times. Even during my dedicated study period for step 1, I found time to do things that I enjoy each and every day.

This is a long journey. The earlier you find balance, the better your life will be. Enjoy this moment with your family, and while they are enjoying this moment with you, be 'present'. Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: 2 users