Family-friendly FM Programs -- Opposed vs. Unopposed, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poi011

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, but I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on how family-friendly FM programs are, in terms of hours worked, maternity leave, flexibility, general attitudes toward pregnant mothers/those with children, etc.

I am hearing that intern year can push 80 hours (is this universally true?), but what about 2nd and 3rd years?

Was also wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with any particular programs in this regard.

Also, how does the workload between opposed and unopposed programs compare? Do opposed programs have a lighter workload because you'd be sharing patients with other specialties? I'm also assuming that opposed programs are larger in general so if you needed to take maternity leave, it wouldn't affect your colleagues as much. True/false?

Also, between FM and Pediatrics (the other specialty I'm considering), which would you say is more family-friendly? Obviously, I am not going to choose the specialty based on this factor alone, but I've heard that Peds is generally pretty friendly toward mothers (it would kind of be hypocritical otherwise, since kids and all), but I have never heard the same said about FM.

Thanks, SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it's a lot easier to have a baby as a 4th year than intern year especially if you are planning to breastfeed. I had a 6 month old starting residency. I would say look at the programs and see how many people have children. Most people are very open about it. If no one does the program might be less friendly or people might not feel like they have the time. A lot of places would have you add time onto end of residency if you take time off because of rules. One of my friends in another program only took 3 weeks off for her newborn because she didn't want to add time to end. I'd say both peds and family are friendly towards people having kids and willing to help if you need it.

In general, unopposed programs will have you working more than opposed programs will. Of course, there is variability but in general, it's the case.

What I implore you to do is not choose a program based on how lax it is, rather, choose one that will give you the best training for what you choose to do. There are exactly zero programs in the country that will gladly give you time off. The work that you're not doing has to then be dished out on your fellow residents, who likely have families as well so for you to be with your family more, someone has to be with their's less.