Family friendly living in Baltimore?

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by braxtonhicks, Dec 19, 2005.

1. braxtonhicks

braxtonhicks Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm interviewing at Hopkins and want to get a handle on the housing situation there. I have already checked out the real estate market to know things can be steep. I have a school-age child and a husband who doesn't need to be close to any particular city. Any suggestions for a Baltimore suburb with good schools and housing where I can get more for my money? Or is Baltimore city an option in certain neighborhoods?

Thanks for any feedback!

2. xampower

xampower Member
    5+ Year Member

3. JR

JR Guest

I am a current ophthalmology resident at Hopkins and we've purchased a townhouse in Owings Mills; it's a great family-friendly area which is relatively safe as well as close to downtown. There is a metro that runs between Hopkins and Owings Mills (the last stop is literally inside JHU!). I don't know whole lot about the school situation, since we don't have kids yet. If you want more info feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

4. DigableCat

DigableCat Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Communities south on I-95 have always been considered family friendly, with good schools and a relatively easy commute. Columbia, Ellicott City, and Elkridge come to mind first.