Family Friendly Pod School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keatbaby

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the Podiatry schools tend to have more students who are married or have children? I can imagine that Temple or NYC wouldn't have as many due to cost of living, but I could be wrong. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Which of the Podiatry schools tend to have more students who are married or have children? I can imagine that Temple or NYC wouldn't have as many due to cost if living, but I could be wrong. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

I've seen married couples in all 9 of the schools during interviews.

Just depends what you and your spouse value at each school.

Location, weather, cost of living, proximity to family support, job opportunities for your spouse.

It varies at each program. There is no school that is absolutely family unfriendly.

EDIT: I based my decision off of weather. Wife did not agree with cold weather, neither did I. I've seen some couples base it off of proximity to family and cost of living. Job opportunities were a bit more flexible to work with.

Out of all the schools I interviewed at, Scholl and DMU seemed to be the most family friendly. DMU has cheaper cost of living, and seems to be located in a pretty good area that you could live nearby. Scholl has military housing that they allow civilians to live in right by the school. I interviewed at Western (SoCal), and it did not seem very family friendly - the school is located in a more questionable area from what I could tell.
So as far as housing/location of the school goes I would say Scholl and DMU are both good options. I did not interview at Midwestern (AZ), but I have heard there are quite a few married couples there so it is sure to be pretty family friendly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which of the Podiatry schools tend to have more students who are married or have children? I can imagine that Temple or NYC wouldn't have as many due to cost if living, but I could be wrong. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Take into consideration what you would need when you move. Temple has what I want in a school, but my SO also has a much easier time finding jobs to apply for (right now) being near Philly as opposed to DMU and Scholl. She also works in the healthcare field, so it could depend on the type of job you are looking for, if looking at all. Healthcare is good there and you can find multiple towns with decent to great school districts for kids. There are less of these in general where DMU and Scholl are located (my other original choices).
Cost of living might be cheaper at some schools, but the pay is also comparable, along with ability to find a job. My SO will be bearing a good amount of financials when we move, and even though it will cost more to live in Philly she will at least have a job paying well. At DMU she would have been lucky to even find a job, and cost of living doesn't matter if you're having trouble making money to begin with.

These are just some of the things I noticed when really trying to decide between schools. None of it might even matter or apply to you.

Just because some schools are nice and student friendly, does not make them family friendly.

Temple has what I want in a school, but my SO also has a much easier time finding jobs to apply for (right now) being near Philly as opposed to DMU and Scholl.
I don't see how philly is much better in terms of job search and pay than Chicago.

I don't see how philly is much better in terms of job search and pay than Chicago.
It's slightly better, I checked. Also, Temple is right in the city, whereas Scholl is an easy 40 mins away from actual Chicago before even considering traffic. The commute would suck for either of us wherever we tried to live. And unless you want to/can get a job in one of the biopharmaceutical companies next to the school (which usually hire as contracts, so not a really stable job for 4 years), then there aren't many job options nearby.

Not to mention housing around Philly is cheaper on the whole compared to around Chicago.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, I was just telling OP why I personally chose Temple over Scholl given my personal situation.

Last edited:
I would always recommend suburban and low cost of living:
Kent- dont recommend the school but low cost of living, pretty kid friendly area , lots of surburbs
Western - dont know too much about the school, but decent cost of living, pomona itself isnt safe but you can stay in claremont which is super safe and only 10 -15 min away
AZ Pod - cheap cost of living but I heard this school milks you thru the balls, there was a 27 year old with 3 kids and he had no life, no sleep, because of academic and family pressure

These are the schools I interviewed at, I cannot comment on DMU, and Temple since I havent been there

NYCPM and CSPM are going to drive your budget thru the roof.

Reactions: 2 users
There are a lot of families here at AZpod. Everyone seems to manage just fine. Academics are top notch and have plenty of family stuff here.

I’d say DMU, AZ pod and Kent state. Me and my family are at Kent and we love it, but I know DMU and AZ Pod have a strong population of students with families. I’m not certain about the other schools.

Midwstern has a high Mormon population and alot of them are already married and have kids. Plus AZ is cheap for cost of living so that helps if you have a family.
This is very true.