Family Life...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by DRMCB, Aug 12, 2001.

1. DRMCB

DRMCB Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I plan on entering med. school in fall 2004. I'm 27, married and have one child. My wife supports my desire to be a doctor, but I know that there are going to be difficult times for our family since med. school will require so much time and energy. How do people with families do in med. school? I've talked to friends who are in med. school, but none of them have families themselves. Are there any programs that are perhaps more family-friendly than others? I'm specifically looking the the Chicago area -- UIC, Rush, Midwestern...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. commymommy

commymommy *reformed commymommy*
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Most of the friends that we have who were in med school while having a family felt that they greatly benefited from the stability and support of family life....sure, it brings with it some other unique challenges, like finding a way to spend quality time with your child/wife while you are preparing for upcoming exams :D ....but most of the people that I talked to wouldn't have it any other way.

There are organizations on most med school campuses to support the spouses of the med students and residents and their are many online resources available as well!

Good luck with everything. There will be difficult times, but with some communication, you all will survive just fine! My husband just completed 7+ years of residency and we have finally moved on to our first "real" job. We had three children during residency. It was really tough at times, but we made it together and I think that at the end of the day we will find that experiencing this great adventure of medical training has brought us even closer together.

Best wishes,

kris

4. Hannah

Hannah Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just a note of encouragement: I know a couple at my church who are in their 50s. The husband didn't start school until age 30, and became a plastic surgeon. During his schooling they had their first child. I know the wife pretty well, and she said they only got stronger for it, and that it was all definitely worth the time and dedication in the end. Now whenever I see her drive around in her BMW sedan, I think: wow, I guess it paid off for them! :) :D Anyway, I would just go for it and keep believing you can do it too! Best Wishes!

5. ckent

ckent Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hello DRMCB, many of my classmates have families already and they seemed to get through classes with no problem during first year. I know one girl who finished studying and left for home to be with her kids every day by 4 pm, she said that having a family makes you be more efficient. In some ways, I think that it might be easier to have kids before starting school instead of having them during school so that you already know what to expect and have a routine going already. Good luck.

6. im4real

im4real Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi DRMCB,

I believe having a family to come home to may be a reward after a hard day of work. It's nice to know that dinner will be served and a child who eagerly await your arrival at the door. We have had tough times throughout medical school and residency, but overall I believe my husband loves having a family to come home to instead of an empty house... well, except when the kids are loud!!! heehee!

In regard to your question about which programs are more family-friendly. My husband is in Family Medicine and we feel that it is very family-friendly. Also, I believe Radiology is family-friendly. I hope this helps, even if just a little! I wish you and your family best wishes in medical school. You'll do great! My husband started medical school 26 years of age after teaching junior high kids for 3 years!!! Yet his experience in teaching has been beneficial in his medical career.

Take care,
    Christy :)