Family Med. & COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nydog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Family Practice residency programs out there (especially in the NY/NJ area) that did not accept the COMLEX. I'm taking the COMLEX in a week and I just want to make sure I don't have to take the USMLE also. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at pretty much every allopathic FP program in the NYC area (except Bronx Lebanon- they didn't invite me :( ) and none of them had a problem with the COMLEX. One program didn't know how to interpret the scores, but he did understand percentiles, which you also send out. I, like you, wanted FP from the start and had no interest in taking ANOTHER exam just to verify that the OTHER exam I took was valid. Don't worry about it. ...and good luck! Maybe I'll see you at interviews next year.

Excuse my ignorance as a soon to be 1st year, but what is COMLEX? Right now I am also interested in practicing family medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX refers to collegs of osteopathic licensing exam It is given in 3 parts. COMLEX are for students at osteopathic medical schools, those that grant the DO degree, rather than the traditional degree. Since you are going to UNC, you will take 3 parts to the USMLE (united states medical licensing exam) on your way to becoming a fully licensed physician. basically, comlex is licensure route for a DO and usmle is licensure route for an MD .

hope this helps

COMLEX is definetly MORE than enough...You will have NO prob getting into a good program even if you have ordinary scores. There are a TON of programs and it is not a competitive program to match into. Good Luck.

Family Practice is WIDE OPEN this year!!! I have shady friends who got ~10 percentile in comlex and got into good Allopathic FP programs. It's because the US MDs aren't picking FP like they did in the nineties because of the pay and the downfall of the HMO "gatekeeper". JUST PASSING COMLEX IS FINE.(Which shouldn't be a problem...i assume)

Thank you to everyone for your responses - your advice puts my mind at ease that the COMLEX is sufficient to obtain any allopathic family med residency. Thanks again.