Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Family Med. & COMLEX

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by nydog, May 25, 2002.

1. nydog

nydog New Member

Hi all-

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Family Practice residency programs out there (especially in the NY/NJ area) that did not accept the COMLEX. I'm taking the COMLEX in a week and I just want to make sure I don't have to take the USMLE also. Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kellishka

Kellishka Junior Member

I interviewed at pretty much every allopathic FP program in the NYC area (except Bronx Lebanon- they didn't invite me :( ) and none of them had a problem with the COMLEX. One program didn't know how to interpret the scores, but he did understand percentiles, which you also send out. I, like you, wanted FP from the start and had no interest in taking ANOTHER exam just to verify that the OTHER exam I took was valid. Don't worry about it. ...and good luck! Maybe I'll see you at interviews next year.

4. KKay999

KKay999 Member

Excuse my ignorance as a soon to be 1st year, but what is COMLEX? Right now I am also interested in practicing family medicine.

5. Arch Guillotti

Arch Guillotti Senior Member
    Administrator Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    COMLEX refers to collegs of osteopathic licensing exam It is given in 3 parts. COMLEX are for students at osteopathic medical schools, those that grant the DO degree, rather than the traditional degree. Since you are going to UNC, you will take 3 parts to the USMLE (united states medical licensing exam) on your way to becoming a fully licensed physician. basically, comlex is licensure route for a DO and usmle is licensure route for an MD .

hope this helps

6. mddo2b

mddo2b STOP PAGING ME....PLEASE!

Resident [Any Field]
    COMLEX is definetly MORE than enough...You will have NO prob getting into a good program even if you have ordinary scores. There are a TON of programs and it is not a competitive program to match into. Good Luck.

7. drfeelgood

drfeelgood In Gas We Trust

Attending Physician
    Family Practice is WIDE OPEN this year!!! I have shady friends who got ~10 percentile in comlex and got into good Allopathic FP programs. It's because the US MDs aren't picking FP like they did in the nineties because of the pay and the downfall of the HMO "gatekeeper". JUST PASSING COMLEX IS FINE.(Which shouldn't be a problem...i assume)

8. nydog

nydog New Member

Thank you to everyone for your responses - your advice puts my mind at ease that the COMLEX is sufficient to obtain any allopathic family med residency. Thanks again.