Family Med Matching help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for advice on making sure I match next year. Any advice is appreciated!
I am currently a US MD third year
Step 1 score of sub-200 :(
unknown med school
passing grade in all my classes

I was not previously considering family med until now so I am behind in forming a good application.
My first rotation of M3 was family medicine and I just passed it. I honestly struggled a lot during it. I feel like my physical exam skills are poor.
Because of covid during m2, we were just told to watch an online video for things like MSK exams and it was hard to really stick. That is something I will try to work on, watch videos, use friends to practice on maybe.

Gonna cast my net as wide as possible because idk how virtual interviews will leave people like me. Feel like there will be so many better candidates so not sure why I would get an interview.

Any tips on everything I should be doing to improve my application this fall?
I need more community service but what kinds of things? Do one time events count or should I work more on a continuous type experience. Any ideas?
For LOR this year, I have my IM rotation still coming up where I could try to get a letter and then do a sub-i this summer.
Tips on how to get a good letter of rec?

I was considering pathology (very different, yes!)
but Im worried I will have trouble even getting interviews because of limited program numbers, low score, no publications.

Members don't see this ad.

FM likes fit more than anything. Show interest in FM and write a compelling PS. Your activities should show dedication to stuff ideally. Pubs are not necessary.

An IM sub-i LOR would actually be helpful. Do well in that. So another FM rotation before apps go out and get a letter from that. I only had one FM LOR so you def don’t need two like some people may say. My LOR were from FM, peds, and OB.

Reactions: 3 users
Practice, practice, practice your physical exam and interview skills. Do well on your remaining rotations.
Based on your Step 1 score, pathology (which requires a retentive memory for a ton if knowledge) might not be a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice, practice, practice your physical exam and interview skills. Do well on your remaining rotations.
Based on your Step 1 score, pathology (which requires a retentive memory for a ton if knowledge) might not be a good fit for you.
Thank you for the advice!!
I am kind of worried if path is too difficult for me to get through (4 years of residency and most go on to get 2 fellowships for a job).

Not that it changes anything but a close friend of mine passed away 3 weeks before I took my exam. I was very distraught and had an emotional breakdown for 2 weeks but could not move my exam without taking the year off according to my school policies. Hopefully step 2 will go better :oops:

I second the response regarding "fit" for Family Med. You can pull up the data for the 2020, 2019, etc. matches and the program directors which responded have consistently scored "perceived commitment to specialty", or some such, very highly when determining whether or not to rank an applicant.

Hello,
I am looking for advice on making sure I match next year. Any advice is appreciated!
I am currently a US MD third year
Step 1 score of sub-200 :(
unknown med school
passing grade in all my classes

I was not previously considering family med until now so I am behind in forming a good application.
My first rotation of M3 was family medicine and I just passed it. I honestly struggled a lot during it. I feel like my physical exam skills are poor.
Because of covid during m2, we were just told to watch an online video for things like MSK exams and it was hard to really stick. That is something I will try to work on, watch videos, use friends to practice on maybe.

Gonna cast my net as wide as possible because idk how virtual interviews will leave people like me. Feel like there will be so many better candidates so not sure why I would get an interview.

Any tips on everything I should be doing to improve my application this fall?
I need more community service but what kinds of things? Do one time events count or should I work more on a continuous type experience. Any ideas?
For LOR this year, I have my IM rotation still coming up where I could try to get a letter and then do a sub-i this summer.
Tips on how to get a good letter of rec?

I was considering pathology (very different, yes!)
but Im worried I will have trouble even getting interviews because of limited program numbers, low score, no publications.

1. Cast a wide net as you are doing.
2. Craft your story. You're not applying to neurosurgery where perfect applicants outnumber positions. Many of these residency programs are willing to listen to your story and will be open to take someone who's struggled so long as they also see redeeming qualities.
3. Community service work is not necessary. If you're interested though, volunteer at a free clinic when they open up. You may be able to ask someone about exam skills there in a less stressful environment.
4. There are still plenty of game-changers still on the calendar for you (IM rotation, sub-I, Step 2 CK). Your main focus should be on these three. If you want, you can message me any time if questions come up on your IM rotation and I'd be glad to weigh in.
5. For your CK, don't try to shoot for the moon (250+). History is an indicator of the future and chances are you're not the best test taker. That shouldn't stop you from doing your best though and a 230-240 is doable for any medical student. Engage with UWorld (again feel free to reach out if you'd like an approach to a topic). Do as many questions you can do. If you can't complete a block in a day, do 20, if not do 10 and work your way up. Start watching OnlineMedEd. Don't skip sections, just watch it in order.
6. For your sub-I, I think you'd do well by undertaking this project if you have time. Each day, pick an a topic. Ex. Anemia. Take a blank piece of paper and try to diagram what your approach to anemia would be. What would you order, what would change the situation, what diagnoses are more likely, diagnoses you do not want to miss. Keep these sheets of paper legible/organized and save them. You can also use OneNote if you prefer the keyboard. Refer to them and keep updating them. Over time you'll build a tool-kit for differentials to apply during your sub-I and for future use even in residency.
7. For the physical exam, one misconception about it is that it's all about technique and requires some correct form. It's really not. The biggest thing to learn about a physical exam is which maneuvers to do and when to do them. I found this journal very interesting and gives me a data-driven approach to the exam so I don't feel like I'm just going through the motions. Also, know when a physical exam sign is relevant. Sometimes it's important to know what to hang your hat on. For an AKI, it's the history that will get you the answer 9/10 times. For a suspected pneumonia, there are some great exam maneuvers we're taught but a fever, any respiratory symptom, and new consolidated infiltrate on CXR (barring complex factors at play like previous lung surgery, etc.) is a lobar pneumonia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Great advice above. Can also try to learn about programs and make some early connections at the AAFP national conference (even if virtual).

Reactions: 1 user
Do aways if you can, showing your face can really improve your chances at programs that might otherwise screen you out based on your score

Reactions: 1 user
Do aways if you can, showing your face can really improve your chances at programs that might otherwise screen you out based on your score
Are FM programs screening out US MDs by score now? My old program only requires a first pass on step one and step two for US grads.

Are FM programs screening out US MDs by score now? My old program only requires a first pass on step one and step two for US grads.
Our system's FM program has a 220 cutoff regardless of where you graduated. They dialed it back to 210 due to too few candidates, but they filled with that bar

Our system's FM program has a 220 cutoff regardless of where you graduated. They dialed it back to 210 due to too few candidates, but they filled with that bar
That is crazy when the average step1 score for FM is ~220. Some of these PDs have no clue.

@OP

Do well on step 2 (230+) and apply to 100+ programs. Not the time to try to save $2000 after spending 300k on COA.

Reactions: 2 users