Family Medicine Board Review books...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any feedback on Swanson's 6th Edition? First Aid for Family Medicine Boards? Bratton?

Members don't see this ad.

Get 1 review book and 1 question book. I used First Aid. It's superficial but it gave me some breadth. I used AFP for more detail and Sanford for antibiotic. I used the CME questions on AAFP and some old question packet in pediatric (AAP) and geriatrics (AGS). I looked at old ITE questions and read the articles for the topics I missed. CME questions were ok; the problem was that they didn't have enough questions in sections of the ITE that I needed improvement. I thumbed through an old edition of Swanson's (4th). These are ok, except the test is not formatted this way. It's one stem, one question. Not one stem, 10 questions... so you can't use this to test your timing.

That is really great advice.

I'm reading the AAFP articles in between with the free time that I have (totally no free time) and going through Swanson 5th Ed. for the next 3 weeks. I bought the 6th Ed for my OCD and will be getting that on Friday, along with First Aid for FM boards and Bratton. I hope that by July I will feel confident enough to do well.

I'm also taking the ACOFP Certification exam in March (dually accredited program) and was wondering what everyone is doing for that.... did the ITE scores come out yet for that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Bratton's and the questions on the AAFP website and that was it. Test was pretty straightforward other than my computer crashed for an hour during the exam it wasn't that bad.

i've heard that any AAFP articles taht are tested are from 2 years prior.

when you say, "reading the AAFP articles" do you mean 2007-2009 or 2005-2007?

What helped me the most were the old ITEs. But I also used Swanson's and the FM monographs.