family medicine board review courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc72279

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone suggest which board review courses they took e.g. osler vs. the pass machine...and what their experience was. which one is better and is it worth it? thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone suggest which board review courses they took e.g. osler vs. the pass machine...and what their experience was. which one is better and is it worth it? thanks so much!!

I was going to ask the same thing, since in 8 months I will sit for this board , and the program will cover with CME money for whatever review course I want to attend. I am also interested to do timed q bank questions and have look extensively but only found examaster to offer q bank which started doing but they are deep into basic science stuff ? I dont the board will be that deep.

I would also like to know as I am taking boards in november. I just graduated residency this past june. was thinking about the pass machine vs osler vs fm boards, all home course study.
please advice asap as i want to pick one and start studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who took Pass Machine and felt it was helpful but they were all older attendings who had been out for a long time and were nervous about aspects of the exam that they no longer do (peds, ob, inpatient, etc)...

I had a copy of the Osler review that I thought was very helpful and thorough. If you really think you need a review course, Osler seemed good. One of our program attendings took the Osler live course and thought it was good but got a bit redundant for the parts you already knew well / do every day.

When I studied for the exam, I did:
1) all the AAFP board review questions (available online, free with your AAFP membership). Very helpful, covers all pertinent topics
2) AAFP 2012 FP Comprehensive Board Prep (on CD-Rom). A bit expensive but very thorough. The articles were almost too long but gave very good depth for topics you feel less comfortable about. I ready a number of the ones for topics I felt I would see on the exam and felt less comfortable about.
3) Brattons Family Medicine Board Review. Very good book. Felt it was well written, had good study questions, similar feel to the "First Aid" books but I felt it was better written / better questions.

send me a message, I am giving the boards in Nov as well , I am planning to attend the fmboards conference in Las Vegas in oct

send me a message, I am giving the boards in Nov as well , I am planning to attend the fmboards conference in Las Vegas in oct

How was the review in Las Vegas ? please let us you if you recommend it or send a PM . I am planning to take the Vegas one in April .