Family Medicine Board Review Prep Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc2294

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an organized, effective, smart way of studying for the boards. The consensus seems to be do the in-training exams and the free AAFP questions. Do people suggest buying the AAFP self-study kit? I don't mind spending the money, but I do want to know I'm paying for something worth the $800. Is it worth it or should I just do the ITEs and AAFP questions? I've been looking into Graber and Wilbur's review book, which seems to get good reviews, as well. I would appreciate an updated response to this, as it seems that the most recent posts are from several years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I bought the board review questions book at OMED this year for $75. I'm taking the board re-cert exam in May. I do better just doing questions over and over. The ACOFP website is supposed to have review questions. I'm not sure if they charge you or not.

When I took it in 2012 before I finished residency I did all the free questions and the ITEs. Did fine.

I think that the free AAFP questions are sufficient enough and well organized. There is also a free app for iPhone and Android called "ABFM exam prep" that has all the free AAFP questions in app form. It will randomly generate 10 question mini tests with answers so it is nice for when you are on the run or away from your lap top. Also be sure to get focus on the MSK/Sports med topics. I feel that these easily made up 15-20+% of my board exam this past April.