Family Medicine in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twiggy171

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am looking for advice on Family Medicine Residencies in Chicago. I am not from the area and don't know anything about the programs. Which ones have the best reputations? Which ones are in the best locations? Which ones do you recommend someone apply to or completely avoid? Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I know a couple of people at the Illinois Masonic FM Res. Program. They are very happy with everything. Lots of OB if you are interested in that.

NF

Hey--

I am at Advocate Christ and really like it. The other residents are great to work with and the volume at the hospital is amazing. You can do anything you are comfortable doing and if you want to learn something, the attendings from all specialities are very willing to teach. C-scope, flex sig, central line, chest tubes, trauma, c-section...what ever.

Check out the site at :

www.XFPR.com

I interviewed at several programs in Chicago and absolutely thought this one was best for me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
decent programs: macneal,west sub, lagrange (there are more)

not so good: loyola, northwestern

Does anyone have any thoughts on Lutheran General?

I am at St. Joe's right now, but I interviewed at Lutheran General and LOVED it. It was too much of a drive, though and I'm so happy I picked St. Joes as my #1.

Lutheran General hospital is expanding and serves a really diverse population. The nursing staff is excellent by reputation and the FP residents were only second to my St. Joe's. They were warm and real, and I would have definitely fit in and loved it there.

Since I have the soapbox, though, please check out St. Joe's. It's not affiliated with Northwestern any longer (UIC now). The curriculum is very strong and changes according to the needs of the residents (and we're a very vocal crowd!) Research opportunities are available and fantastic faculty / attendings are constantly improving our curriculum. Very non-malignant, very fun group...we laugh a LOT...and of course, we're very diligent wrt our jobs. It's http://www.reshealth.org/education/sjhfamily/default.cfm (I'm so bad at links!)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Keep in mind that I'm an intern and will get back to you as soon as I wake up.

Do you guys have a night float system at your program? i.e. what is the frequency of your overnight call?