Family Medicine in the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zubrato

MS II: Time for the STEP
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With family medicine and the diversity of fellowships in mind for the civilian world, how do the military options compare? I don't know how medicine in the military looks like, and I'd like to know what the lifestyle an active duty fam med doc can expect. Are such doctors expected to carry weapons, and does it matter where they're deployed or which branch?
How would someone who hasn't been in the military before choose a branch, and which are better for differing reasons?

I apologize if my questions are dumb, I'm just curious! I read in an article a family doc went from private practice to the Navy as a major and said he could've become a flight surgeon in he so chose. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

With family medicine and the diversity of fellowships in mind for the civilian world, how do the military options compare? I don't know how medicine in the military looks like, and I'd like to know what the lifestyle an active duty fam med doc can expect. Are such doctors expected to carry weapons, and does it matter where they're deployed or which branch?
How would someone who hasn't been in the military before choose a branch, and which are better for differing reasons?

I apologize if my questions are dumb, I'm just curious! I read in an article a family doc went from private practice to the Navy as a major and said he could've become a flight surgeon in he so chose. Any thoughts?

I have posted extensively on Family Medicine in the Navy. If you search my posts, many of you questions can be answered.

In brief:
Fellowships: Sports, OB, Geriatrics(occasionally), Faculty Development are predominant. I have know FPs who have also done Adolescent and Allergy.

We do carry weapons when deployed to combat zones for self/patient protection.

Which branch? There are a lot of threads on this subject, do a search.

O4 = Major (Army/Air Force) = Lieutenant Commander (Navy)

Flight Medicine? Yes, it is a possibility.

Many family medicine doctors stay in the military as their monetary compensation in the miitary is similar to the famiy medicine doctors in the civiian doctors. My bosses are specialized in family medicine doing administrative stuff all day and like to get involve with clinical decisions intermittently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for responding so quickly, and I have been researching the topic and I have looked through your posts for help, thank you again.
I understand that a physician who has finished residency receives a sign on bonus in the realm of 200-400k, and that's quite a healthy sum, however I haven't been able to find details on A. How long one must be a practicing physician to receive such a bonus, B. How many year commitment does the navy expect and other general eligibility requirements.

I'm fairly set on joining, and at this point I'm more than likely not going to change my mind. How does CME and fellowship look within the navy? What I mean is, do you have a choice, are you pushed towards critical need, or forced to remain in your position?

I'm looking forward to working with marines, and spending some time in a-stan. Realistically, I understand there's no way of knowing, but how much real combat danger could I be exposed to as a doc? I won't shy away from it, but it would be nice to know, as it's something that's been on my mind.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, guys. I'm planning my future and you've all helped calm my thoughts in more than a few ways.

Thank you for responding so quickly, and I have been researching the topic and I have looked through your posts for help, thank you again.
I understand that a physician who has finished residency receives a sign on bonus in the realm of 200-400k, and that's quite a healthy sum, however I haven't been able to find details on A. How long one must be a practicing physician to receive such a bonus, B. How many year commitment does the navy expect and other general eligibility requirements.

How are you arriving at that number? A 4-year MSP contract would only pay an FP $20K extra per year above what ISP alone would pay, so I'm having a hard time believing that amount.

BC/BE physicians get a $200-400k accession bonus for a four year active stint.

I can confirm that this bonus amt is not bogus.
My qn is where all can a FM or more specifically internal medicine physician get deployed and in what kid of job ? office practice in af-tan or be hospitalist kind of thing ?

I have posted extensively on Family Medicine in the Navy. If you search my posts, many of you questions can be answered.

In brief:
Fellowships: Sports, OB, Geriatrics(occasionally), Faculty Development are predominant. I have know FPs who have also done Adolescent and Allergy.

We do carry weapons when deployed to combat zones for self/patient protection.

Which branch? There are a lot of threads on this subject, do a search.

O4 = Major (Army/Air Force) = Lieutenant Commander (Navy)

Flight Medicine? Yes, it is a possibility.

Is Allergy really available to FPs? I've only seen IM and Peds types in A&I fellowship.