Family medicine interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamran58

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:
I have received FM IVs . I need to know how is the process of IV ,what we are asked generally,what should be our responses?
senior members and other experienced ppl , please share your experience.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone:
I have received FM IVs . I need to know how is the process of IV ,what we are asked generally,what should be our responses?
senior members and other experienced ppl , please share your experience.
Thanks

I have also received FM IVs.

Usually the IV starts pretty easy.

Then the one in charge comes and pushes some Versed. I usually say "this stuff isn't working."

They then push more.

It works- I don't remember anything except I usually have a t-shirt and some free pens at the end.

ok, I'll take the bait.....

Having had the distinct pleasure of interviewing multiple times at multiple programs across the country, I have to say the FM interview process is overall a very benign process.

Usually there is some kind of intro talk. It can be a brief talk with the chief resident or program coordinator (non MD who runs things). Sometimes they drop you off at morning report first thing and you sit and listen. At one place I watched a film on the program while I ate bagels and drank coffee. At another the PD met with me several times during the day, including the intro.

At some point in the day there is informal interaction with the residents- at lunch usually. There is also a tour of facilities and FM center.

Then at some point there is an interview with the Program Director and then other individual interviews with faculty members and/ or residents.

Interviews are meant to learn about you as well as inform you about the program.

I am almost always asked about my grades (they are good- I only mention that because the focus tends to be on the positives) and volunteer activities. I kind of have a good application- good numbers, American grad etc- so I really don't know what happens, for instance if you flunk the Boards etc. I did leave a residency program, but I have great letters from there and that seems to adequately allay any fears.

That said, they talked so much more about what I like to do in my free time than anything else. Do you ski? run? cook? read literature? have a hobby or a life? I would not go in expecting to talk medicine. Who are you as a person?

"Why Family Medicine" is always a question. I am an incurable idealist who wants to work with the underserved, so my answer is generally in that direction.

Almost every PD asks if I have questions about their program. I always ask where the graduates go and what kinds of practices they join.

Again, it is usually a very benign process. Be friendly and respectful (but not a drooling sycophant) and the interview day should be okay.

(I write a sincere but brief thank you- hand written on Crane's, but that's just me:)- within a couple of days of the interview.)

Hope some of this helps

Good luck!:luck::luck:

Hey, Saluda, if you don't mind sharing, what residency or specialty were you in before deciding to change? Also, why the change versus staying put, etc? Heck, let's just make this a mock interview, whadda ya say?