Family Medicine job market in Southwest US cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT2MD2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M3 applying for FM residency but I was curious to know how much of a paycut would I be taking if I were to be looking for positions in Phoenix, Las Vegas or San Diego (assuming I completed residency). I know LA and San Francisco are incredibly saturated but are there numerous positions available in other Southwest US cities offering >200k or should I consider expanding my geographic radius? Im hearing jobs are available in cities but pay "incredibly poorly" while others are saying many cities are paying 200k-250k.

Members don't see this ad.

Its true, like all specialties that you take a hit in a saturated market. 220 —> 180, or more stingy with other percs (loans) or you have to work harder (more patients). Honestly the paycut isnt as important as the difference in cost of living. NYC and San Fran are very rough even with a “good” family med salary. BIG difference between those places and Las Vegas or Phoenix

Its true, like all specialties that you take a hit in a saturated market. 220 —> 180, or more stingy with other percs (loans) or you have to work harder (more patients). Honestly the paycut isnt as important as the difference in cost of living. NYC and San Fran are very rough even with a “good” family med salary. BIG difference between those places and Las Vegas or Phoenix

Thanks.

What would be considered cities on the West Coast with good job options for FM? Does the job market on the West Coast get tighter if I choose to pursue sports medicine?

North California, Oregon, Washington all are desperate for Family Practice docs. Remember that all numbers are negotiable. If you want to see how much of a need there is go on any locums site and look at how many locums FP jobs there are. Those places are desperate for PCP's .