Family Medicine = No job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstaidjelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Worried that PA's and NP's will push us all out. I just want to work close to NY area in future, any salary is ok. I wish I never went to med school but now am here. Can I find a job in or close to NYC in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

Worried that PA's and NP's will push us all out. I just want to work close to NY area in future, any salary is ok. I wish I never went to med school but now am here. Can I find a job in or close to NYC in the future?

What? If you don't care about salary, how are you going to get pushed out by someone with less education/qualified scope of practice?

There is a legit shortage of Family Medicine physicians. That is why NPs and PAs have the opportunity they do, because they are bridging a gap. Incidentally, you don't have to hate medicine or take a crappy job. Especially in NYC, you should be able to make your own job. I am certain that in a city of that size you can carve out a niche for yourself providing care that you can be passionate about.

Please, take a moment and meet my friend @PamelaWibleMD . Go to http://www.idealmedicalcare.org/docs/DreamClinicS&H.pdf

She is just one of a movement of physicians who are taking medicine back, returning it to something that is healthy for patients and their doctors, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't feed the troll guys, I don't believe for a second he is legitimately asking a question.

You may be right.

But what if this is a legitimate question from someone who is truly at his or her wits end and reaching out for help and support. It cost me nothing but a few moments of my time to respond kindly and with a resource that might help a real person... or a troll. Or someone else who happens upon it later.

Not feeding trolls is a good idea when they are being disruptive, but it is a bad practice if it also means withholding help from real people who may benefit greatly from a bit of compassion.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's fair to say he's being pretty disruptive if he's asking if he can "get a job" in family medicine. I mean, what does he expect us to say, no? lol

On top of that, if he truly is a medical student as his badge and his post both suggest, he has plenty of time to apply in a different specialty. Hence, my suspicion he's just posting to ruffle feathers ;) (i.e. trolling)

I will concede and chime in that I applied for four positions in LA metro area within 1 week and got instant job offers at all four. One was $180,000 starting salary with $40,000 sign on bonus, partnership in 2 years, easy productivity bonuses. so yah...... if he's not planning on making 1mil per year, I think he'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the responses. I am applying to family medicine residencies right now as a DO. I just want to stay near home in NYC. All my friends and family are there. I dont care about the salary. I am just nervous in the future, I will have to work in rural medicine (not that there is anything wrong with that) in the future because PAs and NPs are cheaper.

psyche estrelle, are you serious? the offers were that good? Did you go to some awesome med school or something?

Thank you for the responses. I am applying to family medicine residencies right now as a DO. I just want to stay near home in NYC. All my friends and family are there. I dont care about the salary. I am just nervous in the future, I will have to work in rural medicine (not that there is anything wrong with that) in the future because PAs and NPs are cheaper.

Seriously, look into the Ideal Medical Care concept and other similar low overhead solo doctor models. There is no reason why you can't live wheresoever you want and work as a FM physician making excellent money, even if you don't find your dream job. FM is the ultimate entrepreneurial opportunity as a physician. You don't really need much more equipment than a computer, a cell phone, and a stethoscope. How much could you reasonably charge to do house calls in NYC? A service like that could charge a premium over a standard office visit, and you wouldn't have the expense of an office. Go all cash/credit (get a card reader/Square for your smartphone) and you don't have to pay billing staff or deal with insurance. Truly, the only thing holding you back from establishing a very lucrative practice there is that you have been convinced that you have to sell your work to an employer for a salary. You can go that route, just don't think for an instant that it is your only hope. If you feel bad about making too much crazy bank, set aside a day a week to go volunteer at a free clinic or provide some sliding scale service to lower income patients.

I work at a major university hospital with MDs and DOs. They are absolutely treated the same. There are DOs in all the most competitive specialties at our hospital, or at least all the ones that I work with regularly. We have DO ENT, Optho, Anesthesia, etc.

There is something holding you back... that is you, yourself, and the lies you have believed about the limitations you face.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a valid question? FP is THE HOT COMMODITY right now. You can write your own ticket. There are not enough doctors to fill the need.

See! Listen to cabinbuilder. She is one of my role models, who has absolutely made Family Medicine work for her chosen lifestyle. Also, DO.

I'm carefully not answering my friends and family who ask where I am going to practice someday because 1) holy cow that is too far ahead for me to reasonably plan at this point with any degree of certainty and 2) I kinda want to spend 2-3 years doing locums like a madman and piling up experience and crazy bank so that when I do settle in to start up my own practice I can do it without any debt and with a little cash cushion.

The DO comment did make me seriously question whether OP may have been trolling a little, but threads aren't just for the person who posts them. Who knows what under informed pre-med may wander in here and get informed. Lurking around the forums educated me, so I am returning the favor.

Add OMT into the mix there too OP. Guaranteed there's a market for that in the NYC area.

I'm glad OP asked these questions. While seemingly extreme, his/her concerns exist in the general med student population.

I was talking about finding a family medicine job in or near nyc in the future. Not any job. Im sure there will still be rural family medicine jobs in the future, but I do not want to be away from friends and family that are in NYC.

I was talking about finding a family medicine job in or near nyc in the future. Not any job. Im sure there will still be rural family medicine jobs in the future, but I do not want to be away from friends and family that are in NYC.
Did you read the responses above? There's plenty of opportunities out there. Last time I checked there is a significant under served population in NYC w a demand for primary care. And then there's the surrounding areas with similar demands (e.g. Newark and other NJ inner city areas). Take home: you will be marketable if you play your cards right.

(Starting to think I may have been trolled).

I am not a troll. I am a fourth year med student, who is very depressed. I think I chose the wrong profession. I am so sad. I cried last night and have been this way for the past few months. Its funny, once you achieve something, you realize how empty it really is. I did it for the money and now there is none. I should have been a veterinarian.

I am not a troll. I am a fourth year med student, who is very depressed. I think I chose the wrong profession. I am so sad. I cried last night and have been this way for the past few months. Its funny, once you achieve something, you realize how empty it really is. I did it for the money and now there is none. I should have been a veterinarian.

You need to seek out counseling services through your school. Depression is common in medical students, and is very serious. Residency is grueling, you need the help now...... You are going to want to have a grasp on this before you start residency.

But also, there is money in fp. A lot of money. And honestly, it's up to you how much you'll make. If you wanna make 140k because you're willing to accept the first place in a nice part of town to offer you a job, that's what you'll get. If you wanna bust your tail to find a place that pays 180k with a track to partnership, then bust your tail and find it. However, you need to educate yourself on the trends in family medicine, and you really need to get some counseling....you owe it to yourself and your future patients

In a place like NYC, the skies the limit. Be a concierge doc in Manhattan, work in a HIV clinic in the slums, open a private practice.... Hustle and dream a little bit while you're young. Medicine is what you make it.

Reactions: 1 user

OK, I understand you are very depressed, but there are so many things wrong about what you said above. You definitely need to stop and do some serious soul searching, in addition to getting treatment for your depression, because if you go around saying things like much of what you've said above - "PAs and NPs will push us all out," "I went into it for the money" (And you were completely oblivious to the fact that there's a LOT more to being a doctor than a salary??) and "I should have been a veterinarian" (are you being serious? Their staring salary is $60k), it will be extremely difficult to make meaningful relationships with the people you network with.

Why not just apply in a different specialty? Yes, chances are good you will still be able to live in NY if you don't go into FM...

thanks for the advice. I am going into FM because I like community based medicine. I was going to be a psychiatrist but cannot talk to patients and wont be going into internal medicine because Im really bad at it and dont like being in the hospital.

If you can't get a job in FM, you don't deserve one.

Whaaat? Are you serious? While vets want to make money, they often don't make as much as physicians in human medicine. Although, I will say my vets charge an arm and a leg. LOL. Usually these folks do really care about their non-human patients, and it can be very competitive, b/c there are less seats in vet schools.

Move to Jersey. You will definitely find a FP job there. But it's like you aren't really into it, so, wow. I feel badly for you if that is the case.

Also, your comments about not being able to talk to patients and not "being good" at internal medicine do not inspire confidence. IDK, now I'm wondering if you will get a position. Geez.

I also agree this is most likely not a serious question, but...

If you can't find a job, you are doing something wrong, or their is a huge red flag that is scaring employers. Applying to jobs last year I ended up on 15-20 interviews, plus 15-20 places contacted me which I decided not to interview at - all in the area *I* wanted. The best part of these interviews is the ball is on YOUR court.

Family Medicine salaries are rising fast due to high demand. Many patients refuse to see PA's and NP's, and only want to see an MD or DO. In the Midwest, starting salaries average $150K out of residency. I know of attendings in community and academic settings making $250K+ and at least one making $400K with very busy practice. AND there are tons of openings ALL THE TIME.

As far as NYC, the market tends to be competitive, but if you are Board Certified and have no citations or reprimands against you - I'm sure you can find one out of residency pretty fast.

Many residency program 3rd years have already signed contracts for jobs for starting in 2015 and it's only November 2014.

I got 4 calls and 4 emails today alone wanting to know if I was available to family practice opportunities. That doesn't even count the locums calls I get.

Family Medicine salaries are rising fast due to high demand. Many patients refuse to see PA's and NP's, and only want to see an MD or DO. In the Midwest, starting salaries average $150K out of residency.

150 out the gate AND midwest? Not sure if that sounds appealing for those with average to above average debt, especially for us costal dwellers.

Last edited:
150 out the gate AND midwest? Not sure if that sounds appealing for those with average to above average debt, especially for us costal dwellers.

I've head way higher than that for Midwest. Also, in the Midwest there's pretty much unlimited amount of opportunities to moonlight in urgent cares and ED's where you're gonna get paid more than you'll make in your practice. Heck, a resident I knew was making 125/hr in an urgent care, that was very low stress....they were flying in docs from California to Kentucky to work weekend shift in the ED because they can't find people around here. There's a lot of $$$ to be made in the Midwest

Midwest is much much higher than 150K. That number is more like Denver. You should see more like 220-250K start. Iowa, ND, SD, KS, NE are currently HOT right now due to lack of primary care. My locums ladies are begging me to go to ND right now, I just don't know if I really want to deal with the paperwork for a 5th active license when I already have too much work as it is. I just had an offer on the Oregon coast for 220K base and I turned it down for being too low since it's about 100K less from what I made this year as locums (I don't work a 40 hour week either).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
>>Don't feed the troll guys, I don't believe for a second he is legitimately asking a question.
Same old issues here - as soon as anyone asks a question that is perceived as negative towards FP they are considered "trolling"

Same old issues here - as soon as anyone asks a question that is perceived as negative towards FP they are considered "trolling"

Trolls don't ask questions, they make statements. Sometimes, they even dredge up old threads when it suits their purpose...

I know this is a necromanced thread BUT

I'm p sure the going rate for a baby FP doc in the midwest in 2014 was NOT 150k.

I think in suburbs/urban areas where there are more doctors and more competition and less demand, the salary was around 180K and then in rural areas, where there are less doctors and more demand, the salary was round 200K and above...