Family Medicine/Primary Care Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

susan7677

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a fourth year osteopathic medical student. I have always wanted to do Osteopathic Family Medicine before I even started medical school. I am writing this note for opinion, feedback, and advice on what the trend has been with matching into Family Medicine. If one does not match into an osteopathic family medicine match, then one scrambles. My question is regarding the osteopathic family medicine residency if there are positions that are often available after the match for one to scramble in. Is it still the most unfilled residency spots? How miuch are unfilled? Will the same trend hold for 2012 and the future? Are there more unfilled family medicine residency spots in osteopathic medicine verses allopathic medicine? The reason that I am asking this is because there are now more medical schools and students but the residency spots have not increased from the government. I would really appreciate any feedback or opinion regarding this matter. Thank you.

Susan

Members don't see this ad.

Half of DO family med residencies dont fill according to the AOA match data that someone posted a few weeks back. Doubt that there are that many on the MD side considering the IMG and FMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.