Family Medicine/Primary Care Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susan7677

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a fourth year osteopathic medical student. I have always wanted to do Osteopathic Family Medicine before I even started medical school. I am writing this note for opinion, feedback, and advice on what the trend has been with matching into Family Medicine. If one does not match into an osteopathic family medicine match, then one scrambles. My question is regarding the osteopathic family medicine residency if there are positions that are often available after the match for one to scramble in. Is it still the most unfilled residency spots? How miuch are unfilled? Will the same trend hold for 2012 and the future? Are there more unfilled family medicine residency spots in osteopathic medicine verses allopathic medicine? The reason that I am asking this is because there are now more medical schools and students but the residency spots have not increased from the government. I would really appreciate any feedback or opinion regarding this matter. Thank you.

Susan

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a fourth year osteopathic medical student. I have always wanted to do Osteopathic Family Medicine before I even started medical school. I am writing this note for opinion, feedback, and advice on what the trend has been with matching into Family Medicine. If one does not match into an osteopathic family medicine match, then one scrambles. My question is regarding the osteopathic family medicine residency if there are positions that are often available after the match for one to scramble in. Is it still the most unfilled residency spots? How miuch are unfilled? Will the same trend hold for 2012 and the future? Are there more unfilled family medicine residency spots in osteopathic medicine verses allopathic medicine? The reason that I am asking this is because there are now more medical schools and students but the residency spots have not increased from the government. I would really appreciate any feedback or opinion regarding this matter. Thank you.

Susan

Most of the questions you're asking are difficult, if not impossible, to answer.

There are always positions in Family Medicine available after the match. You should be able to scramble into either osteopathic or allopathic positions in FM. However, if your application is strong you should be able to match into one of your top 3 choices for FM residency (whether DO or MD spots).

As far as future trends for FM, it's hard to tell.

If you're from Ohio, there are many excellent osteopathic FM programshere.

Good luck with the match!

May want to read this: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...fessional-development/20111115gmefunding.html

With the possible GME cuts, you may want to think about how many positions will actually be available when all is said and done.

'Nasca said that the increase in U.S. medical school enrollment in recent years was a step forward in finding a solution to the nation's looming physician deficit. However, he added, GME positions have not been increased.

"Now we're talking about significant reductions in the number of GME positions, to the point where we may not even have enough residency positions for the graduates of our domestic allopathic and osteopathic medical schools," said Nasca.

He pointed out that another 3,700 U.S. citizens enter the United States after training in Caribbean medical schools. "There would be no spaces for any of those individuals under some of these scenarios," said Nasca.'