Family Medicine Residences in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cummingsmedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of this moment I have invites to Tech-Amarillo, JPS, Conroe, and Baylor-Garland. Don't really know much about any of them. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

As of this moment I have invites to Tech-Amarillo, JPS, Conroe, and Baylor-Garland. Don't really know much about any of them. Any insights?
Yes, my insight is that you need a clearer picture of your avatar so we can all see your cute baby son.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience (intern in TX)

Conroe is a nice balance of clinic time and small, regional hospital medicine. Program director is MD MBA and CEO of the organization that funds the residency alongside federal assistance. He advertised that you learn good business of medicine there. Clinic building is fairly new and PCMH accredited. Residents seemed happy.

JPS is huge, largest program in the nation. Large hospital system with several medicine teams. Residents rotate through 6 teams I believe. Procedure numbers are very high and training is top-notch. Hard work is advertised up front. Residents seemed tired.

Didn't go to Baylor interview, didn't apply to Tech.

JPS is a huge program (22 interns) with a focus on inpatient. Baylor Garland is a smaller program (6 interns) with a focus on outpatient. I nterviewed at both and put Baylor first and am currently a resident with Baylor. I cannot speak directly about Tech Amarillo -- I am very familiar with Tech Lubbock, but it has a large portion of this next class devoted to their accelerated track students. Rural communities in West Texas, however are paying crazy good money for family medicine physicians. Good luck.

I will tell you that Texas Tech students in Midland suck and everyone hates them from what I saw when working in Midland ER. I never saw a group of more lazy residents who would spend 2 hours to find a way not to have to admit a patient on a technicality. None of the attendings like to deal with them. I didn't like to deal with them. Just the worst group, none of them are accountable and down right dangerous.

I will tell you that Texas Tech students in Midland suck and everyone hates them from what I saw when working in Midland ER. I never saw a group of more lazy residents who would spend 2 hours to find a way not to have to admit a patient on a technicality. None of the attendings like to deal with them. I didn't like to deal with them. Just the worst group, none of them are accountable and down right dangerous.

If you were stuck in Midland, would you be excited?