Family Medicine Residency Interview Invites 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick tip for future applicants: take notes on all your interviews. It doesn't have to be during the interview, but take notes on everything they tell you before you go on your next interview. My first few interviews I didn't take any notes because they left very strong impressions on me and I remembered everything right after, but now, they are ALL blending together and I can't remember which program had which feature, which had overnight call, etc. I can't believe nobody told me to do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview invite last week...yep, in December! So, if some of you are still waiting don't give up hope. For this program, I did send an email to the PD expressing my continued interest in the program.

I got an interview invite last week...yep, in December! So, if some of you are still waiting don't give up hope. For this program, I did send an email to the PD expressing my continued interest in the program.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer but reading some of the invites I got in Deember - in the description it says that they are interviewing candidates from Oct to January - but the only available dates are a few December and January dates.

What i'm trying to say is that you weren't their first choice and it definitely hurts the ego that even before you go into the interview you weren't someone they really wanted - you were just the backup or maybe even a backup to a backup

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to be a debbie downer but reading some of the invites I got in Deember - in the description it says that they are interviewing candidates from Oct to January - but the only available dates are a few December and January dates.

What i'm trying to say is that you weren't their first choice and it definitely hurts the ego that even before you go into the interview you weren't someone they really wanted - you were just the backup or maybe even a backup to a backup

That definitely doesn't matter. Plenty of backup/second choice people interview late in the season at their top choice programs and match. If your ego matters more than where you match into for residency, then step aside for those who are willing to seize opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely! If someone is feeling ashamed about their December/January invites, I'll gladly take them off your hands!

If you get an interview, even if it's for the last interview day, be thankful. I know several people that interviewed late last year and matched into those same programs.

Reactions: 1 users

Okay, and the people who they selected as their 'first, second, and third choices', may not actually be a good fit for those programs. They may have cancelled because they are confident in other spots. Some of us are thankful for all of our opportunities, you are certainly welcome to have disdain for a program because you weren't initially selected, but that may be a disservice to you when the match happens. Having resentment that a program took a bit to sort through the thousand or more applications is petty, not to be a debbie downer...

Just got an interview from a big academic center on the West Coast with 4 dates left. Keep 'em coming!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an interview invite today, ha.

I guess with people cancelling last minute some programs are trying to fill spots.