Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys, for those of you in Family Medicine Residency, what question bank/s have you been using throughout your residency for general knowledge and/or board preparation?

drake19

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
Status
I had this question as a resident...

I think getting as much shadowing/clinical experience prior to starting is more valuable than any qbank out there - since treating/manging patients is a different experience from answering questions....when you treat patient you are using a different set of skills and drawing from your knowledge

the approach I took was I became a vegetable and relaxed before residency and figured everyone would be in the same boat as me

the best questions to prepare for the general knowledge, residency, ABFM boards are the ITEs and quarterly CSKA - they do the best job reflecting the actual ABFM exam - you should have access to at least 3 years worth in your portfolio, the more you do the better

the AAFP online questions/ABFM - alot of htese questions seem to be just recycled from the ITE

AFP articles are really good too if you have time - you will see that alot of the ITE questions reference AFP articles or NEJM

I used Rosh, UWORLD, NEJM+- pretty much the other main qbanks out there, after passing the exam the only other bank I would have focused on would be NEJM+since it had questions from all the additional modules, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legitimate_Art

VA Hopeful Dr

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

Gos81238ia

Canadian IMG in US FM program - PGYIII
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, for those of you in Family Medicine Residency, what question bank/s have you been using throughout your residency for general knowledge and/or board preparation?
I used Uworld for Step 3 and then the ABFM exam. I also used the ABFM iPhone app, but found that Uworld made me think more and I liked it better.

Sardonix

7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I had this question as a resident...

I think getting as much shadowing/clinical experience prior to starting is more valuable than any qbank out there - since treating/manging patients is a different experience from answering questions....when you treat patient you are using a different set of skills and drawing from your knowledge

the approach I took was I became a vegetable and relaxed before residency and figured everyone would be in the same boat as me

the best questions to prepare for the general knowledge, residency, ABFM boards are the ITEs and quarterly CSKA - they do the best job reflecting the actual ABFM exam - you should have access to at least 3 years worth in your portfolio, the more you do the better

the AAFP online questions/ABFM - alot of htese questions seem to be just recycled from the ITE

AFP articles are really good too if you have time - you will see that alot of the ITE questions reference AFP articles or NEJM

I used Rosh, UWORLD, NEJM+- pretty much the other main qbanks out there, after passing the exam the only other bank I would have focused on would be NEJM+since it had questions from all the additional modules, etc.
So how effective was the bolded strategy. Asking for a friend.

Fatalis

7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Use AAFP question bank, uworld is also money; covers content really well. Old ITEs help too

drake19

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
Status
I used Uworld for Step 3 and then the ABFM exam. I also used the ABFM iPhone app, but found that Uworld made me think more and I liked it better.
Uworld and USMLE is a different style of questions. It’s effective for nbme and step not so much for abfm. You don’t see any zebras...well known I saw of on the exam.

drake19

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
Status
AFP question bank. Seconding NEJM qbank here. Will be using the ABFM board prep course and +/- Uworld.
I would have just focused on abfm ite and cska. As many ite you can do then maybe nejm.
It takes about a day to get through thoroughly an ite

I personally didn’t have time to review nejm entirely, only ended up reviewing half of questions a second time

SLC

A Punk rock Country doc
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2010
The Empire
Status
Attending Physician
I used only ABFM exam prep app, it consists of retired ITE questions. Do that and you should do fine on ITE’s and on Boards. I got a much higher score (percentile wise) on ITE’s and ABFM exam than I did on USMLE’s and COMLEX so the app must’ve worked.