family medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
i start family medicine soon. and i was wondering how helpful step up to medicine would be. of course, i probably wont get through it all. would it be more helpful to read step up instead of blueprints for family? also, how good are the aafp questions online? is there a fee to use the questions?

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't use step up to medicine for family med. Blueprints + articles from aafp should be more than sufficient. You need to understand asthma, copd, DM, HTN, HL, obesity, things like that. Step up has waaay too much info on diseases you will not see on family med.

hey all,
i start family medicine soon. and i was wondering how helpful step up to medicine would be. of course, i probably wont get through it all. would it be more helpful to read step up instead of blueprints for family? also, how good are the aafp questions online? is there a fee to use the questions?
I would definitely read Step Up as opposed to Blueprints for the NBME shelf exam. It was 90% IM.

AAFP questions were ok... it's free to become a member.

Members don't see this ad :)
if anything read the outpatient med part of step up and then read up on things like copd, asthma, etc.

I would definitely read Step Up as opposed to Blueprints for the NBME shelf exam. It was 90% IM.

AAFP questions were ok... it's free to become a member.

where do you go to become a member? because i tried the student membership, and the site says that there's a $15 fee. am i on the wrong site?

where do you go to become a member? because i tried the student membership, and the site says that there's a $15 fee. am i on the wrong site?
Sorry, you're right. It's worth it, though, considering a question book would run you at least $35.

any other advice about the family shelf???

how about the washington manual of ambulatory therapeutics? seems a good resource... what can you say?

Just took the shelf this past week ... I don't know how helpful Blueprints is since I only glanced through a friend's copy, but you should definitely go through whatever you're going to use for internal medicine if you haven't taken the IM shelf yet. Step Up is good if you still have a few weeks until your exam. If you don't, just go through the Step Up ambulatory section and then pick out practice questions from MKSAP for Students (you should do most of them but can ditch stuff like the "nosocomial infections" section). You'll see some questions about multiple myeloma, sarcoid, etc in addition to the bread and butter HTN, DM, CAD stuff, so definitely treat this exam like it's an internal medicine test. Case Files Family Practice is good for the pedi and OB cases (but don't rely on CF for much else). There were only a few questions on psych that were on obvious topics like ADHD and depression, so don't worry about it too much. Good luck!!

I took shelf, got 90 on it but when I was done, I thought I failed it. :eek: I think if I had to do it again I would study medicine for it. That's all it is, medicine