Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkplug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one knows about the FM residency programs in Pensacola, Jacksonville, Camp Pendleton, or Bremerton. Which one do you recommend based on their program, location, housing, e.t.c
I really appreciate your advice

Members don't see this ad.

I'll speak to the things I know as an outsider and having done my FP clerkship at P'cola (things have probably changed some since then as well).

Pensacola: had at the time what I would consider a pretty good program. Decent amount of OB, but not overwhelming like those at USMC bases. Only had like one month out of the year not on call. Has a night float system. Hospital is decent size with fairly new outpatient clinic setting. FP basically owns the second floor. Didn't seem super busy on ward/call months, but will stay busy in clinic. I actually really like the pensacola area. Cheap cost of living. great beaches. great running/outdoor culture. Downsides are no real pro/big college sports (Could drive to Tallahassee though). New Orleans is about 4hrs away as well.

Jacksonville: never rotated or been there, but in my opinion I wouldn't go near this hospital right now. They have had way too many high profile lawsuits come out of that place over the last 5-10 yrs. Sure, it could happen anywhere, but just seems to be more visble at NH Jax. Can't speak to their program/city.

Camp Pendleton: Huge Marine base = tons and tons of OB. Hospital is located deep into base, but there is talk of building an entirely new hospital there. Can't speak to the program otherwise. Far enough away from San Diego that you wouldn't be driving there all the time.

Bremerton: Pacific NW is a pretty nice area. Seattle again far enough away that it's not that close. Otherwise can't really speak of the program.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate

Members don't see this ad :)
With all due respect, I have to disagree with backrow's assessment of Jax's FM program. I'm a 2nd year there and I think it's a very good program, for many reasons.

1) The location. I am from NJ, so Jax is like going to the burbs for me and my bride, but it is more city-like than Pensacola and Lejeune. Pendleton is an hour or so away from San Diego. Jax has beaches 30 minutes away, a "city", life, lots of nature, etc. Also, if you have a family and want to be Ned Flanders, then you can definitely do it here.

2) The program. You're going to learn. We're not Lejeune OB heavy, but we don't have to go TAD to have a short OB rotation. There is a lot of internal medicine, peds, geriatrics, procedures etc. Every residency program has some bumps, but I think I will be a good doctor at the end of this.

3) Military. This is a hub of a lot of stuff. I am exposed to the sub, aviation, surface communities, SeaBees, and a few Marines. It will help if you don't know what you want to do in the Navy.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Oh yeah. The lawsuits are plentiful wherever you go. We have a lawyer who really loves to hate NHJAX. I think it's fine, but you make your own opinion.

In your experience what do you think is my chance to go straight to residency? I am thinking to do FM internship and residency in Florida
Thank you so much for the info.

Oh yeah. The lawsuits are plentiful wherever you go. We have a lawyer who really loves to hate NHJAX. I think it's fine, but you make your own opinion.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with on my assessment of JAX. I didn't say anything about it other than it's had lots of lawsuits and for that reason I'd stay away.

I wouldn't say lawsuits are plentiful wherever you go. I haven't heard of any coming out of the other FP hospitals in recent years, especially to the degree of NHJAX. If I were going FP I wouldn't rule the place out without visiting, I'd just be cautious with the recent history it has.