Family member a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but does anyone know if having an immediate family member who is a DO count for anything in the application process?

I had an admission person tell me to write in large letters across the front of my secondary application. I thought that was a little overboard, but if it helps, I'll do anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Having an immediate family member as a DO helps in the sense that it suggests to the adcoms that you understand the osteopathic profession pretty well, and, moreover, that you really want to be a DO rather than an MD (and are not just faking it to get into medicine). I don't think it will make up for bad grades or test scores, but definitely mention it in your application or personal statement.

At MSUCOM, there is a sheet attached to the secondary application that is used to determine how much knowledge you have on the osteopathic profession. There are boxes to check if you've interacted w/osteopathic medical students, shadowed a D.O., if your family member is a D.O., etc. I know that they give you points for each box you check, so it couldn't hurt if you did have a D.O. in the family. I don't think that it'll harm you, however, if you do not. It's something that you have very little control over! Good luck!

spanky

Use it. Anything to get in, right?