1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Family member a DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by spanky, Aug 22, 2002.

1. spanky

spanky Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious, but does anyone know if having an immediate family member who is a DO count for anything in the application process?

I had an admission person tell me to write in large letters across the front of my secondary application. I thought that was a little overboard, but if it helps, I'll do anything.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. apgar7

apgar7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Having an immediate family member as a DO helps in the sense that it suggests to the adcoms that you understand the osteopathic profession pretty well, and, moreover, that you really want to be a DO rather than an MD (and are not just faking it to get into medicine). I don't think it will make up for bad grades or test scores, but definitely mention it in your application or personal statement.

4. OsteoMed02

OsteoMed02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

At MSUCOM, there is a sheet attached to the secondary application that is used to determine how much knowledge you have on the osteopathic profession. There are boxes to check if you've interacted w/osteopathic medical students, shadowed a D.O., if your family member is a D.O., etc. I know that they give you points for each box you check, so it couldn't hurt if you did have a D.O. in the family. I don't think that it'll harm you, however, if you do not. It's something that you have very little control over! Good luck!

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    spanky

Use it. Anything to get in, right?