spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Just curious, but does anyone know if having an immediate family member who is a DO count for anything in the application process?

I had an admission person tell me to write in large letters across the front of my secondary application. I thought that was a little overboard, but if it helps, I'll do anything.

apgar7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2002
Pomona CA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Having an immediate family member as a DO helps in the sense that it suggests to the adcoms that you understand the osteopathic profession pretty well, and, moreover, that you really want to be a DO rather than an MD (and are not just faking it to get into medicine). I don't think it will make up for bad grades or test scores, but definitely mention it in your application or personal statement.

OsteoMed02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2001
Norton Shores, MI
www.msu.edu
Status (Visible)
At MSUCOM, there is a sheet attached to the secondary application that is used to determine how much knowledge you have on the osteopathic profession. There are boxes to check if you've interacted w/osteopathic medical students, shadowed a D.O., if your family member is a D.O., etc. I know that they give you points for each box you check, so it couldn't hurt if you did have a D.O. in the family. I don't think that it'll harm you, however, if you do not. It's something that you have very little control over! Good luck!

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads