Family member who's a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boohoo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the application it asks you if you have a family member who's a dentist?

Does the answer to this hurt or help you? One of my family members told me having a family member already a dentist may be a disadvantage?? Does anyone know? I mean they must ask for a reason.

Also does anyone know if they actually call our recommendors because one of mine was hesistant to leave a personal phone number for them.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

On the application it asks you if you have a family member who's a dentist?

Does the answer to this hurt or help you? One of my family members told me having a family member already a dentist may be a disadvantage?? Does anyone know? I mean they must ask for a reason.

Also does anyone know if they actually call our recommendors because one of mine was hesistant to leave a personal phone number for them.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

Are you going to lie about it even if it hurts your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, it was a pretty valid response. because you cant change who your family is the answer to the question would only matter if you plan on lying about it

let's over-analyze this (as is the custom on SDN).

If you answer that you have no family members in the dental profession:
pros: They may see you as a pioneer in your family, possibly breaking the family mold, rising above economic and social barriers, etc.
cons: they may think you have little exposure to the field, have little or no support from your family and thus a tougher road.

If you answer yes:
pros: You have had lots of exposure to the field and will have support from family.
cons: you may just be doing it because your father/mother/uncle/brother did it and may be expecting to ride their reputation.

of course, if you LIE and you get an interview from a school a relative graduated from, you'll immediately look like a liar. The choice is yours.

let's over-analyze this (as is the custom on SDN).

If you answer that you have no family members in the dental profession:
pros: They may see you as a pioneer in your family, possibly breaking the family mold, rising above economic and social barriers, etc.
cons: they may think you have little exposure to the field, have little or no support from your family and thus a tougher road.

If you answer yes:
pros: You have had lots of exposure to the field and will have support from family.
cons: you may just be doing it because your father/mother/uncle/brother did it and may be expecting to ride their reputation.

of course, if you LIE and you get an interview from a school a relative graduated from, you'll immediately look like a liar. The choice is yours.

In other words...

OP, put down the truth and just be prepared for whatever **** that is coming because its going to come whether its good or bad and regardless of if you like it or not.

My mom works for a dentist as a dental hygienist. Does that count?

my mom is a dentist. I put it down on my application. I even put down that I volunteered at her place. But I also volunteered at another office (non family member and not a family friend either)

if your family member attended the school you're applying to, then it could be a good thing. some schools like to see that "legacy" status

Can this be moved to the 'stupid question' category already?? :rolleyes:

hehe i kid, i kid.

but seriously:
of COURSE they love it when you have family members that are dentists! like lemoncurry stated, lets not overanalyze a simple thing here:
adcoms love to see that you would have a solid foundation and base for the profession, one which you cant really get unless ur family is immersed in the field.

when my sister interviewed at schools, all they could talk about was how my dad is a dentist and how some of the interviewers had gone to school with him (raising your question of intent on blatantly lying in your application).
so yeah, i'd say its more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

plus, you never know what kind of connections it could provide for you during this admissions cycle ;););):D

:p:thumbup::)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly or not, but if the question is "Do you have any family members who are dentists?" then, having a dental hygienist mother does NOT satisfy that question.

As related as the two positions are, they are completely different.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly or not, but if the question is "Do you have any family members who are dentists?" then, having a dental hygienist mother does NOT satisfy that question.

As related as the two positions are, they are completely different.
AADSAS asks you to list family members who are dentists, dental students, dental hygienists, dental lab techs, dental assistants, etc.

sorry let me clarify,

My family member is not an immediate member (2nd cousin) and I just wasn't sure if I was suppose to include him or not

apologies for the stupid question lol
& thank you all for your help!

sorry let me clarify,

My family member is not an immediate member (2nd cousin) and I just wasn't sure if I was suppose to include him or not

apologies for the stupid question lol
& thank you all for your help!

I still would; you don't have to be SO specific to be "second cousin on my mother's side twice removed blablabla" lol :p
it'll look just as legit if you just put down "cousin"
..which would seem to be a valid connection to put down.

At my interview for early assurance at buffalo dental they asked me:
"So I see you have no family members involved in dentistry. What made you interested in dental?"
To me, that implied that some adcoms think having family in dental is one of the main reasons people pursue it. And perhaps, it is more a con if you do not.

i don't think you should lie on the app, they'll call you out in no time. I don't have any family in dentistry, but as long as you have the right experiences, you should have no problem getting in. remember, don't lie!!