Family members treating/loaning medications to patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently had a spate of family members loaning antibiotics/insulin/medications to other family members --
most recently today -- had a female patient present for a cough and find out the husband had some Cipro lying around and treated her for 6 days with Cipro. When I inquired about it, I was told "don't try it" -- almost in the sense of questioning his "medical judgement". To my knowledge, they were not a physician ---

so -- how do the rest of you handle family members doctoring others in the sense of giving left over abx, other meds that "helped" ---

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm over the top blunt and generally I would say, " the reason you are not better is because antibiotics don't treat a cough and the antibiotic you took is for bladder infections". Just like I tell people steroids are not indicated for sinus infections because it knocks down your immune system and can make you sicker, etc. etc. etc. It's every day.

Reactions: 2 users
This will make for a great interview question!

I've recently had a spate of family members loaning antibiotics/insulin/medications to other family members --
most recently today -- had a female patient present for a cough and find out the husband had some Cipro lying around and treated her for 6 days with Cipro. When I inquired about it, I was told "don't try it" -- almost in the sense of questioning his "medical judgement". To my knowledge, they were not a physician ---

so -- how do the rest of you handle family members doctoring others in the sense of giving left over abx, other meds that "helped" ---

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably have said, "Your first mistake was having leftover antibiotics. Your second was giving them to somebody else." There's a reason this stuff is prescription-only.

Reactions: 2 users
This person had a real attitude from the start. After they were roomed, he came out, walked over to the vitals area (recall he's not the patient) and proceeds to run vitals on himself....so I jokingly stated we'd need to charge him an office visit if he continued to use the clinic equipment (hint: hey buddy, read the sign above the scale that says "For Clinic Use Only"). Then we go through the Cipro discussion and I get the "don't try it with me" response. By that time, I was about ready to refund the visit and ask them to leave....

This person had a real attitude from the start. After they were roomed, he came out, walked over to the vitals area (recall he's not the patient) and proceeds to run vitals on himself....so I jokingly stated we'd need to charge him an office visit if he continued to use the clinic equipment (hint: hey buddy, read the sign above the scale that says "For Clinic Use Only"). Then we go through the Cipro discussion and I get the "don't try it with me" response. By that time, I was about ready to refund the visit and ask them to leave....

I have done that too, "You know what, we obviously aren't going to agree here, perhaps its best if you find a different provider." Usually jolts them into place or they move on.

"so momma game me 'just a piece' of her Zaaanex, I think it was the peach colored one. and it really worked good."

Yep, get it all the time too. In the end, I've come to realize that we all check in to work each day with an emotional and energy bank account. There are things that crop up in the day that can drain it really quickly. Arguing tops the list for me. For me to give my 4:00 pm patient the same energy and attention that I give my 8:30, I must use my resources carefully. When these Dr Googles come in, I'll take a minute explaining why what they did wasn't a good idea, document in the chart appropriately and move on. They're just as likely to ignore my best advice if I spend 1 or 10 minutes on the topic. My patients know that I don't placate or babysit.

Reactions: 1 users
Just had a guy come in who never goes to the doctor. High fever 103, sweats, chills last night. Wife gave him her augmentin because he never goes to the doctor. Angry that he is here. Sounds like flu but flu is negative. It is resolving and he looks fine. I let them know the augmentin likely won't make him better and that the treatment is rest, fluids. I gave him the day off work. Then he says, "See? This is why I don't go to the doctor since there is no fix and no answers". Sigh....... its been like this all weekend.

Just had a guy come in who never goes to the doctor. High fever 103, sweats, chills last night. Wife gave him her augmentin because he never goes to the doctor. Angry that he is here. Sounds like flu but flu is negative. It is resolving and he looks fine. I let them know the augmentin likely won't make him better and that the treatment is rest, fluids. I gave him the day off work. Then he says, "See? This is why I don't go to the doctor since there is no fix and no answers". Sigh....... its been like this all weekend.

Sounds like you gave him an answer, but he just didn't like it. Most people like getting good news (e.g., you aren't dying, what you have is self-limited). Would it have made him happier if the answer was cancer...?

And, yes...I probably would've actually said that. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Next time give him a strong laxative.

Here, I've got a sample of a med guaranteed to take your mind off of how sick you feel. It's called Linzess....take it 4 days straight with plenty of fluids......

Along those lines... ;)

Compassion.jpg