Family Physician looking for Urgent Care / Fast Track / other work in the ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afsplace

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks

I would like to work in the Fast Track in the ER, love working with other colleagues (one reason I want to work in the ER rather than urgent care on my own), also want to see higher acuity patients and have the ER Doc's in case I can want to consult them (level 3 patients like headaches, abdo pain, chest pain etc )

It is hard to find these jobs in databases (practice match etc), I have looked under jobs for Family Docs and ER physicians and I only got 1 hit that was out of date for the state of California and MD. I know these jobs exist but they are rare, I met a few FP's who have are or doing these jobs ...

Appreciate advice / Personal Experience on most efficient way to find these positions ....

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks

I would like to work in the Fast Track in the ER, love working with other colleagues (one reason I want to work in the ER rather than urgent care on my own), also want to see higher acuity patients and have the ER Doc's in case I can want to consult them (level 3 patients like headaches, abdo pain, chest pain etc )

It is hard to find these jobs in databases (practice match etc), I have looked under jobs for Family Docs and ER physicians and I only got 1 hit that was out of date for the state of California and MD. I know these jobs exist but they are rare, I met a few FP's who have are or doing these jobs ...

Appreciate advice / Personal Experience on most efficient way to find these positions ....

This is going to make it hard. Places that employ board-certified emergency physicians are going to want all of their docs to be held to that standard. Not saying it's impossible to find, just makes it very unlikely.

Hey folks

What you're describing is what mid-level providers do. If an emergency department is going to have something for Fastrack only where you can consult with an emergency physician on harder cases, then you're going to hire a physician assistant or nurse practitioner for the job.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks

I agree with what @Rendar5 said, in that you're basically looking for a job that a PA would ordinarily do. If you're willing to work for the same salary that they make, I think an ED would be thrilled to have you. If not, I think it will be difficult.

Message me.
Hey folks

Most urgent cares are mid-level run. The most ideal place is probably a VA ED where you see 99% males, adults with chronic conditions and their associated exacerbations. If you’re looking for low acuity, then get in to a VA that’s near a higher level of care hospital, which then you will turf it out.

For what it's worth, I remember someone in the EMDocs facebook group mentioning that her group hires FM physicians to staff fast track because they got tired of signing midlevel charts for people they never saw. So there is at least one job like this out there.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you want to work in a place where you can readily consult an EM physician, you will have to take a huge way cut to work purely urgent care for which they could easily hire a midlevel.

I think we are still looking for another physician at our urgent care. We see mostly 3 with some 4's. We do IV's, xrays, Ct scans, ultrasound and can do MRI if needed. Have physician and mid-levels on during the day. Typically seeing 140-170 in 12 hours. Mercy Urgent Care in springfield, MO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile