Family Practice and $$$$????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm generally under the impression that FP earn around 130K per year, which is an excellent salary

However, I know one FP that is grossing nearly 1 million dollars? How the heck is he doing that? Is he selling crack on the side? :) Yeah, I know. I should ask him but I think that's a bit rude.

Nonetheless, is it possible to earn that kind of money as Family Practice physician? I just assumed there is a cap to your earning as family practioner regardless of how popular you are.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, you can gross more as a family practitioner by expanding your practice with other doctors or with PA's and RN's. Many of the less urgent problems can be treated by the other health professionals, who make a bit less than the FP. The FP pays the extra overhead, accepts ultimate responsibility for all patients, and profits from the differential between the PA/RN salary and the actual billing.

It seems like a good system if one has excellent business sense and keeps close tabs on the health of the community. I don't know too much about this business model, and I could certainly be wrong, but it seems like a good deal especially in drastically underserved communities in which it would be difficult to lure more doctors. The community benefits from the increased number of health professionals, the PAs and RNs benefit from greater autonomy and salary, and the FP benefits from basically franchising the brand name.