Family practice emergency medicine fellowship and some other stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epidemic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen attending a US medical school. Ideally, I'd like to go back to Canada to practice since my family is there. I'm considering emergency medicine as a career and have a couple of options. I can do the 3 year program in emergency medicine here in the states and come back afterwards or I can do family medicine in Canada and do the one year fellowhip upon completion. My questions if anyone knows:

1. Are CCFP-EM docs limited in terms of what they can do in the ER compared to people that did the 5 year emergency medicine residency? Do they bill at a lesser rate?

2. If I do a 3 year emergency medicine program in the US and want to practice in Canada where do I fit in? Am I considered a CCFP-EM? Am I considered more inline with Canadians that finished the 5 year emergency training?

Any info would help! Feel free to throw in your 2 cents :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Epidemic

I can't answer questions very well, but I know that there are some centres where the CCFM-EM docs typically don't work -- like in some of the larger urban ED's. I'm not sure about billing or what your US residency would be equivalent to here. In case you haven't seen this website, you might be able to get some info there. It's a Canadian premed/med school board.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/

best of luck

I was about to start a thread with precisely the same question. I'd like to think that the 3 year residency in the US would be considered to be more training than the CCFM-EM option. After all, you are in a devoted EM residency wherein all three years are focused on EM. (The US 4-year programs are fewer and the "extra" year is considered a bonus-- but there is no formal distinction in the US in terms of job eligibility with the 3 vs 4 year residency.)

I see it as either/or in Canada. Either you can work in the medium or smaller city hospitals (or in rural areas) with the +1 EM or you have the 5 year EM specialty residency wherein you can work at the big urban trauma centres (ie any hospital emerg). I know that in Vancouver the CCFM-EM docs work at Lion's Gate and St Paul's and only FRCP-ER docs work at VGH and Royal Columbian. If the 3 year residency from the States would make me eligible for the FRCP-ER jobs, I would definitely go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen attending a US medical school. Ideally, I'd like to go back to Canada to practice since my family is there. I'm considering emergency medicine as a career and have a couple of options. I can do the 3 year program in emergency medicine here in the states and come back afterwards or I can do family medicine in Canada and do the one year fellowhip upon completion. My questions if anyone knows:

1. Are CCFP-EM docs limited in terms of what they can do in the ER compared to people that did the 5 year emergency medicine residency? Do they bill at a lesser rate?

2. If I do a 3 year emergency medicine program in the US and want to practice in Canada where do I fit in? Am I considered a CCFP-EM? Am I considered more inline with Canadians that finished the 5 year emergency training?

Any info would help! Feel free to throw in your 2 cents :)
If you want to be an EM doc here, you can finish your 3 year program there and then come back here and do R4 and R5 (I have checked this). You still wind up doing a five-year residency either way. One EM dept's head (LA county), who is Canadian, said he thought that the extra training really did make Canadian docs a cut above.

To be a certified FM/EM doc you need to do that three years of training here, and most of it is in family med. You need to do a family med program in order to be certified as an FM, let alone an FM/EM.

And yes, FM/EM do get paid less and do fewer types of procedures. They are basically family docs able to do some of what EM docs do. (Straight-up EM in Canada is very academic/research-oriented, too.)

Good luck.

I was about to start a thread with precisely the same question. I'd like to think that the 3 year residency in the US would be considered to be more training than the CCFM-EM option. After all, you are in a devoted EM residency wherein all three years are focused on EM. (The US 4-year programs are fewer and the "extra" year is considered a bonus-- but there is no formal distinction in the US in terms of job eligibility with the 3 vs 4 year residency.)

I see it as either/or in Canada. Either you can work in the medium or smaller city hospitals (or in rural areas) with the +1 EM or you have the 5 year EM specialty residency wherein you can work at the big urban trauma centres (ie any hospital emerg). I know that in Vancouver the CCFM-EM docs work at Lion's Gate and St Paul's and only FRCP-ER docs work at VGH and Royal Columbian. If the 3 year residency from the States would make me eligible for the FRCP-ER jobs, I would definitely go for it.

A number of CCFP-EMs work in one of Toronto's most notorious trauma departments/ERs - St. Mikes.

As noted by many of my CCFP-EM friends, a CCFP-EM does not preclude you from working only in rural/smaller hospitals, but there are many trauma/tertiary centres that will allow you the opportunity as a CCFP-EM.

have you thought about applying to FRCP-EM residency programs in Canada?

This is something I'm thinking I will want to do, and I am wondering what it takes to match as a Canadian US med school grad into a competitive Canadian EM program. Will doing undergrad med in a big US city but from a lesser known school be an asset or a detrimant? (I am going to Detroit).