Family Practice NBME Subject exam

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by mary, Sep 23, 2002.

1. mary

mary Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have any of you taken this test already? Any suggestions for study material and/or content would be greatly appreciated. I just finished my medicine clerkship, but haven't done any others yet. Thanks for any help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KU Brendan

KU Brendan FM/EM Attending, PC Gamer
    Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I personally liked the NMS question book for FP; I found it to be more helpful than NMS was for some of the other rotations. Of course, if learning by doing questions isn't your style, then I'd try something else. :) Doing medicine first is the best thing you could have done--just try to learn a little peds and OB, and you've got it.

--Brendan--
    <"}}}}}><

4. mary

mary Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the reply!

any more advice? I would love to hear more opinions on how to do well on the FP Subject exam? thanks!

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    I used Swanson's Family Practice Review to review for my Family Practice shelf exam. It also turned out to be an excellent review for my Medicine shelf too. I ended up taking both shelf exams on the same day and doing well on both. While it looks like tons of reading, I found that I could move pretty fast through it.

I kept Pocket Doctor in my coat pocket and could get instant review at any point. The Ferri Manual is pretty good to carry around too. It will take you through fourth year and into internship if you are pursuing Internal Medicine.

njbmd