Family practice residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssingh0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long is the shortest residency,? I assume it's for FP?

Members don't see this ad.

Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Family Practice, and some Emergency Medicine residencies are 3 years long. I think some Anesthesiology residencies are also 3 years long, not sure on that however.

sdnManJo said:
Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Family Practice, and some Emergency Medicine residencies are 3 years long. I think some Anesthesiology residencies are also 3 years long, not sure on that however.

i thought IM was 4 yrs :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
gujuDoc said:
i thought IM was 4 yrs :confused:

All IM residencies are 3 years as is peds, most EM residencies, and family practice. that's it.

anesthesia is 4 (1 preliminary year and 3 years of anesthesia).

later

12R34Y said:
All IM residencies are 3 years as is peds, most EM residencies, and family practice. that's it.

anesthesia is 4 (1 preliminary year and 3 years of anesthesia).

later

Ah thanks for clearing that up. Was I confusing internship year with being part of residency?? So is there an additional year if you include internship??? Thanks in advance.

gujuDoc said:
Ah thanks for clearing that up. Was I confusing internship year with being part of residency?? So is there an additional year if you include internship??? Thanks in advance.

In typical medical fashion, this is a very simple concept that has been shrouded in several layers of arcane terminology.

The first year post-graduate trainee can be called several things; PGY-1, first year resident, or intern.

"Intern year" itself has two meanings, hence much of the confusion. It can mean just the first year of training (as in IM), or it can mean a year of training before starting a different program (such as neurology, rads, derm, etc.). In the latter case, the intern year can be a year of IM, a transitional year, etc.

In my specialty, pathology, we have no intern year (aside: THANK GOD). I went straight from medical school into PGY-1 of pathology residency. But, because this is my first year of postgraduate training, I am accurately described as an intern.

So I'm an intern but I'm not doing and intern year. Makes wonderful sense, eh?

Well whats the longest residency? Including internships and anything of the like. Also, what is the average pay of a resident, 30K a year?

ssingh0 said:
how long is the shortest residency,? I assume it's for FP?
isn't there a "General Practitioner" that is only 2 years residency (1 year intern, 1 year resident)? The FP came about only in the last 25 years, as I understand it.

I dont know if they have GPs anymore, but FP is perhaps the shortest out there.

As for the longest, it would be safe to assume that surgery is the longest...last i checked it was ~5 years....this doesn't include if you want to do any subspecialties besides general surgery. I think neurosurgery is the longest residency.

neurology/diagnostic neuroradiology is 7 years. only 3 accredited programs.

(shiver)

Havarti666 said:
In typical medical fashion, this is a very simple concept that has been shrouded in several layers of arcane terminology.

The first year post-graduate trainee can be called several things; PGY-1, first year resident, or intern.

"Intern year" itself has two meanings, hence much of the confusion. It can mean just the first year of training (as in IM), or it can mean a year of training before starting a different program (such as neurology, rads, derm, etc.). In the latter case, the intern year can be a year of IM, a transitional year, etc.

In my specialty, pathology, we have no intern year (aside: THANK GOD). I went straight from medical school into PGY-1 of pathology residency. But, because this is my first year of postgraduate training, I am accurately described as an intern.

So I'm an intern but I'm not doing and intern year. Makes wonderful sense, eh?

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Muchas gracias.

:D :p

BaylorGuy said:
I dont know if they have GPs anymore, but FP is perhaps the shortest out there.

As for the longest, it would be safe to assume that surgery is the longest...last i checked it was ~5 years....this doesn't include if you want to do any subspecialties besides general surgery. I think neurosurgery is the longest residency.

Surgery is definitely the longest. It is 5 years for general surgery plus 2 or more years for fellowships etc, to do subspecialties.

Neurosurgery, which is separate from the rest of the surgical residencies, are supposedly 7-11 years of residency. I'm not sure on specifics. But I know there are 7+ years to be able to do it.

gujuDoc said:
Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Muchas gracias.

:D :p

Did I even answer the right question? Was there a question? Huh? What? Where am I?!?

gujuDoc said:
Surgery is definitely the longest. It is 5 years for general surgery plus 2 or more years for fellowships etc, to do subspecialties.

Too bad it's also the freaking coolest. :rolleyes: Mmm.

Gotta love being 30 before you're out of training.

peetie said:
isn't there a "General Practitioner" that is only 2 years residency (1 year intern, 1 year resident)? The FP came about only in the last 25 years, as I understand it.

I think I heard somewhere that if you choose "primary Care track" at scome schools, your 4th year is essentially your intern year thus finishing in 6 yrs... it may or may not be true any more (Check Case Western .. I think i remember something like that from a speech when I was there last summer)

peetie said:

A general practitioner does NOT exist anymore. there is NO residency for that. that died years ago. FP, EM, IM, Peds are the shortest residencies they are all 3 years.

Technically, you could do 1 year of internship in medicine or surgery and pass step 3 and get a license to practice in a state and hang your shingle out and practice medicine.

There are several reasons why this won't work anywhere other than the middle of wyoming.

NO insurance company will insure you.

NO hospital will allow you admitting privelages .

You won't get paid by insurance.

So, in essence there is no longer a GP anymore.

later

Havarti666 said:
Did I even answer the right question? Was there a question? Huh? What? Where am I?!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yah I think you indirectly answered my question. :D