Family Practice Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arb011

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. Does anyone know much about a family practice residency? What type of setting is it (because I have never seen a resident in my family practice)?

I know that all residencies are very intense and time consuming, but is it any less intense/less hours than some of the other residencies?

Just interested to see what people have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't PandaBear a FP intern for a year? You might be able to read about his (albeit negatively biased) experience on his blog.

Have you tried looking at their websites? Use FREIDA...

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/

i checked out the site. in theory, what the program says is what happens, but i want to know about what really occurs in practice.

for example, UT Southwestern says:
65 hrs/week for FP residency and 65 hrs/week for orthopedic surgery residency. i doubt that ortho is that low, so i'm not sure that the FP residency would be any lower.

for anyone that's curious, there seem to be a variety of academic and community programs.

I'm just curious. Does anyone know much about a family practice residency? What type of setting is it (because I have never seen a resident in my family practice)?

I know that all residencies are very intense and time consuming, but is it any less intense/less hours than some of the other residencies?

Family med residencies are generally affiliated with hospitals. They do a fair amount of inpatient stuff as residents - working in the peds floors, working on labor and delivery, a general surgery rotation, working in the emergency room, etc.

Some rotations are probably less intense than others. But, as a family med resident, you will be on call for certain rotations - esp. labor and delivery and general surgery.

Please see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158415 for more info.

Family med residencies are generally affiliated with hospitals. They do a fair amount of inpatient stuff as residents - working in the peds floors, working on labor and delivery, a general surgery rotation, working in the emergency room, etc.

Some rotations are probably less intense than others. But, as a family med resident, you will be on call for certain rotations - esp. labor and delivery and general surgery.

Please see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=158415 for more info.

very informative. thank you.

i checked out the site. in theory, what the program says is what happens, but i want to know about what really occurs in practice.

for example, UT Southwestern says:
65 hrs/week for FP residency and 65 hrs/week for orthopedic surgery residency. i doubt that ortho is that low, so i'm not sure that the FP residency would be any lower.

for anyone that's curious, there seem to be a variety of academic and community programs.

Oh, I'm sure the hrs/week on there are fuzzy as far as accuracy, but I thought the individual program links might provide curriculum clues, etc.

I'm sure you've looked at the FM forums here, have you skimmed the reviews on Scutwork?

Oh, I'm sure the hrs/week on there are fuzzy as far as accuracy, but I thought the individual program links might provide curriculum clues, etc.

I'm sure you've looked at the FM forums here, how about Scutwork?

yea, Scutwork is pretty cool. I never looked at that particular info in there though.

However, I don't like sifting through the threads in the FM forums to find what I'm looking for.

Bingo ... I worked in a hospital for two years with a slewww of FP residents and this is exactly what they did (mainly in the ER).