Family Practice Rotation and Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red58

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is a good book to read for the FP clerkship and shelf test (blueprints, NMS, others. Also, is Swansons a good question book? It seems more geared toward Step 3. If it is too much, what would be a good question book. Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry Geek, but I have to disagree with you. I thought that FP was one of the more difficult exams, because it covers so much (Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn). Luckily, my school uses it as a very low percentage of your grade.

I don't think there are any good books for FP. I had friends that swore by Swansons before the exam, but found it was actually little help. I think the best thing to do is try to pick up as much as you can on the rotation... sorry there is no easy answer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
...which is another good reason to do a rural fp rotation. :)

I'm so excited about starting rotations in another month. I love reading about y'all's experiences.

Peace~
Lindsey

Originally posted by Scrubbs
Sorry Geek, but I have to disagree with you. I thought that FP was one of the more difficult exams, because it covers so much (Medicine, Peds, Ob/Gyn). Luckily, my school uses it as a very low percentage of your grade.

I don't think there are any good books for FP. I had friends that swore by Swansons before the exam, but found it was actually little help. I think the best thing to do is try to pick up as much as you can on the rotation... sorry there is no easy answer :)

Originally posted by Digginit
...which is another good reason to do a rural fp rotation.

That's what I did. I did my FP rotation in a rural area that had an unopposed residency.

I saw and learned a LOT there, moreso than on any other rotation to date. There was a variety of things that I saw, everything from outpatient stuff to admitting critical inpatients.

I literally did not study for the FP shelf and did rather well on it.